Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mini USB on camera PCB came loose

miggie

Aug 16, 2016
Hi guys,

My mini-usb port on my Canon 5d mark II was not working anymore.
I opened it up and discovered this (see image attached).

How to fix this? It seems it brooke loose from the PCB with a piece of green from the PCB itself.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 112

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It looks like the usb socket has been ripped from the board taking the solder pads with it.

This is a very difficult repair.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
It looks like the usb socket has been ripped from the board taking the solder pads with it.

This is a very difficult repair.

indeed !

I did a repair on one of those mini terabyte hard drives several months ago. used the same USB socket
firstly I reattached the socket and secured it with some better earthing bonding to the frame of the socket. This is really important for longer life

Then I had to use really fine wire to bridge between the pins of the socket and the appropriate places on the PCB. This mat NOT be where the
pins used to connect to, rather you may need to find just find the solderable end of a component for that particular trace that needs to be repaired

Dave

hamrecycling

Sep 5, 2016
I am having a similar issue with a customers tablet from levono 6000. For some reason no company makes them removable or replaceable with screws. Has anyone ever replaced on a tablet? i will try to take a picture when i can.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
t looks like the usb socket has been ripped from the board taking the solder pads with it.

As far as i can see all pads but the far right are still good.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Use a fine tip solder iron and apply a tiny quantity of solder on it and solder the pins back to the PCB.

Use this :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-0-1MM-...655172?hash=item2eedb67c44:g:T04AAOSwRoxXmvzX

to connect the pin on the broken pad to where it goes in the pcb.

It takes some practice to do so if you have never done that before or take it to a service center or shop to have it done.

Bottom line your device can be saved.

Does my post make sense ?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I am having a similar issue with a customers tablet from levono 6000. For some reason no company makes them removable or replaceable with screws. Has anyone ever replaced on a tablet? i will try to take a picture when i can.

replaced what ?????

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
As far as i can see the pads are still good.

the pads are clearly lifting up ;) and attached to the pins of the port there is an obvious gap between the some of the pads and the PCB

hamrecycling

Sep 5, 2016
Good to know, haha, i hope this one can hellastech. I think i will need to practice first with some dead device, one i am not afraid of messing up. I have been reading, and it seems these lenovo tablets all have this issue. After the plugging and unplugiing the mini usb like miggies always get loose. I looked and some pro is offering a service to repair. I think ill get familiar with them so i can fix them later on more units we get.

hamrecycling

Sep 5, 2016
Good idea. but trust me it takes alot of practice.

I myself have done that many times in the past.
Thank you for all your replies, i really appreciate it.
Can you offer any suggestions what to do?
I was thinking of course, 1 use a dead device as practice, but is there maybe a standard way to prevent damage to the boards?
I was thinking maybe covering the board around the holes needing solder with tape? In case i miss and some solder fall, i can then just pull the tape off.

hamrecycling

Sep 5, 2016
Thank you hellas, yes maybe since this is a customer unit, maybe i will consider taking the unit to a pro, and try to familiar my self better before i try a customers unit. I really need to get familiar with doing this tho. We get some of these broken models and i would really like to handle it in house eventually.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I have some notoriety for soldering a 1206 resistor using a 250W soldering iron with a tip more than half an inch across.

However, I would concur with the advice to use a fine tipped soldering iron. :)