Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Microstrip Antennas Manipulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonika jha

Aug 3, 2016
Hello sir
first of all I'm really sorry for my previous wrongly done attempts but indeed they were not done intentionally rather it was because of the lack of my knowledge on using forums, so kindly forgive me for my ignorance.

------------------------------------------------------------------
now to be precise I wanna make an app that would be able to manipulate the microstrip antennas that are etched in the PCBs of most of the cellphones and moreover that manipulation would involve "intentional redistribution of electric RF currents over the antenna surface" + "electrically modifying the dimensions of the patch antenna", so in my understanding that would be requiring the functionality of switches and varacters in the PCB, but I have a limitation of doing that programmatically. So does this project has some possibility?

thnku...

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
now to be precise I wanna make an app that would be able to manipulate the microstrip antennas that are etched in the PCBs of most of the cellphones

and how do you envision changing something that is fixed ?
I don't see any obvious way of being able to do that

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
Delphi bought an RF company with the patent to tune stripline antenna with a diode as a varicap for auto tuning to different VHF bands in car garage door openers.

But if this is for >1GHz you will have significant challenges even if you have a network analyzer and the experience using Touchstone software.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
So does this project has some possibility?
Based on your lack of experience, as evidenced by coming to a hobbyist forum where most of the newbies are confounded by the problem of lighting up LED strings, I would have to say your chances are somewhere between slim and none. Do you have access to a gigahertz capable vector network analyzer (VNA)? Do the words "Smith Chart" give you a warm fuzzy feeling? How familiar are you with sub-millimeter sized surface mount devices suitable for embedding in a microstrip circuit board for programmatic control of impedance? Do you have substantial financial and technical support from companies such a Nokia, Motorola, or Samsung for this project?
"intentional redistribution of electric RF currents over the antenna surface" + "electrically modifying the dimensions of the patch antenna"
Do you even know what this means? What patent document or research paper did you copy this phrase from?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
The microstrip antennae in cell-phones will have been designed by the phone manufacturers for optimum performance. Why would you want to make the antennae performance worse by modifying them? What is the purpose of the current redistribution or patch dimensional change?

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
I read it as he wants to make a software app that can do that.??? Maybe I read it wrong...

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
The OP posted his question on August 4 and has not been seen since. Who knows what he wants to do? As I read it, it sounded like programmatic control of microstrip parameters. It also looked like a snippet taken from a published paper on the subject, perhaps a patent disclosure. In any case, it's way beyond the capability of most of us here (including yours truly) to offer any help... well, maybe that ham moderator in Australia who dabbles in UHF and microwave frequencies could jump into this pool, but I won't call him out by name.:D

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I think they call them trolls right?
Maybe. But I thought trolls mostly hang around and post endless off-the-wall questions and argue. This one simply popped up, deposited a few pearls, then left. He continued posting here on a (probably) related topic.

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
This project has no merit.

the antenna is matched impedance to give the best return loss possible. Any blind modifications without monitoring return loss and transmission gain are pointless.

The best features in some laptops is having 2 antenna with different orientations and a diversity switch to avoid dead spots from cancelling reflections (Ricean Fading)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Maybe. But I thought trolls mostly hang around and post endless off-the-wall questions and argue. This one simply popped up, deposited a few pearls, then left. He continued posting here on a (probably) related topic.

agreed

thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.