Maker Pro
Maker Pro

MAX883C/D (Just because!)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I have absolutely no use for these, but they were cheap and I wanted to look at them.

Introducing the MAX833C/D. It's nothing really special, just a Low quiescent current, low dropout regulator.

They come, 100 at a time in a little box like this: IMG_8509b (Medium).JPG

When you open it, it looks like this: IMG_8510b (Medium).JPG

What are those little things? Closer up they look like this: IMG_8523c (Medium).JPG

Yep, those are just bare chunks of dopey silicon! (check out page 14 of the datasheet for more information).

And here's one a little more close-up: IMG_8523b.JPG

The little buggers are only a tad more than 2mm on each side.

Last edited:

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
I did check the datasheet, and they look useful. Now, if you invest a couple hundred thousand in a robot that can handle and solder those things....

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I guess that is the kind of thing people put under the black rounded blobs on PCBs.

Bob

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I guess that is the kind of thing people put under the black rounded blobs on PCBs.

Bob
.... or 'COB' as it is known (chip on board).

I'm getting too long in the tooth for some of the modern IC packages. I've hand soldered 48-pin chips with a 0.5mm pin pitch (successfully and rather to my surprise too!) but some of the ball-grid array stuff makes me despair. Fortunately, for most of the more common and useful devices that come in such packages, there seem to be pre-made circuit boards with them mounted for you.... phew!

But when you get to the bare silicon....... maybe a university lab might have wire-bonding kit. My own workshop doesn't go to that expense!