Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Massage Chair Remote Error(King Kong)

Henry Hall

Apr 16, 2017
NEED your expertise PLEASE . I have a King Kong massage chair. Was working fine. My sister moved the chair
To clean behind. Now the remote says ER. Vibrate works . The remote looks like it's going through the sequence. But no features work except vibrate.
I checked all connections and even unplugged for 2 hours. Can anyone HELP please King Kongs number is disconnected. Manual isn't any help
I am very mechanically inclined. Just need a little help. Could it be the relay. THANKs for your help.

TKeepers

Apr 17, 2017
Hello, I have fixed a few of these chairs and I know the problem that you are having. The problem is the Torodial step down transformer has blown the thermal fuse. It is a $2 fix, but is a bit difficult to get to. Look on the MCB and find the big round thing. The black and white wires are the power in. The fuse is soldered on to one of them. 115 degree C fuse bought on ebay. Solder a new one in and you're back in business. Be careful to not damage any of the wiring on the transformer. They can get very hot and cause a fire if misshandled. 20170219_144705.jpg King-Kong-Massage-Chair.jpg 20170219_144705.jpg King-Kong-Massage-Chair.jpg

Attachments

• torodial-transformer.gif
    torodial-transformer.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:

gail

Jun 22, 2017

dsmith

Jun 28, 2017
@TKeepers ,

You mentioned working on a few of these chairs. Could you suggest a fix for my King Kong model 5563? The buttons on the remote work intermittently. The remote itself is in pristine condition and all buttons have a nice bounce to them but many times you must try them dozens of times before it is recognized. The power button is most prone. WP_20170628_09_02_47_Pro.jpg

Toni Porter

Mar 18, 2018
TKeepers we opened the back of the chair, but unable to locate the MCB. Is it in a canister?

solutionstrust

Nov 13, 2018
Hello - TKeepers gave feedback but did not indicate where this Torodial step down transformer is located ... also what is a MCB ??? Photos of the location would be a great help and much appreciated ... Thank you

solutionstrust

Nov 13, 2018
Hello - Keepers you gave feedback but did not indicate where this Torodial step down transformer is located ... also what is a MCB ??? Photos of the location would be a great help and much appreciated ... Thank you

JOEBLOW

Jun 6, 2019
I have located the big round thing with the white and black wire on My king kong massage chair but fail to find a fuse that is soldered to either wire

TKeepers

Apr 17, 2017
I have located the big round thing with the white and black wire on My king kong massage chair but fail to find a fuse that is soldered to either wire

Ok the fuze is inside the transformer. The plastic tape has an end to it and it may take time to unwrap it. Save the plastic tape and try to reinstall it the best you can. You may need to pry the outer copper wires away a bit being careful not to damage them in any way. A bit of searching in the transformer and you will see the fuze that looks like the one I posted from e-bay. Be careful when you solder the ends. I should have made a video of the fix and posted it on YouTube. I have since gotten rid of the chair.

TKeepers

Apr 17, 2017
Ok the fuze is inside the transformer. The plastic tape has an end to it and it may take time to unwrap it. Save the plastic tape and try to reinstall it the best you can. You may need to pry the outer copper wires away a bit being careful not to damage them in any way. A bit of searching in the transformer and you will see the fuze that looks like the one I posted from e-bay. Be careful when you solder the ends. I should have made a video of the fix and posted it on YouTube. I have since gotten rid of the chair.

TKeepers

Apr 17, 2017
I believe the square fuze is the one you will be looking for in the original transformer. You can install either the round one (may fit funny behind the copper) or the square one. Just make sure to tuck it back and cover it well and also make sure that NO PART of the solder or wire touch the outside windings. Good luck and let me know if I can assist any further.

tcojack

Jun 17, 2019
Where did you find it? I’ve got a 5560. Took back off but nothing there. Just plugs.
here

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir tcojack . . . . .

If this agrees with your specific Ling Ting Tong - King Kong unit. . . . . . . .
You would be wanting to do a power unplugged test and confirm wth an ohmmeter that you have a complete circuit from both
pins of the AC plug to the two mated pins of the 3 P connector a la YELLOW box.

WIRING REFERENCING . . . . .

upload_2019-6-20_0-4-32.png

73's de Edd . . . . .

Some come to the fountain of knowledge to drink, while others, merely sip or gargle.

Mazdaman2

Sep 1, 2019
Here is
Sir tcojack . . . . .

If this agrees with your specific Ling Ting Tong - King Kong unit. . . . . . . .
You would be wanting to do a power unplugged test and confirm wth an ohmmeter that you have a complete circuit from both

View attachment 45530

73's de Edd . . . . .

Some come to the fountain of knowledge to drink, while others, merely sip or gargle.

Shredder

Aug 3, 2020
King Kong Toroidal Trans.jpg Hi all: I am in the process of doing this same repair. It should be noted that removal of the board is imperative to properly servicing the transformer unless you like grappling around under the chair to remove the wire ties, retaining nut and transformer lead connectors to remove the transformer. The connectors come off with little tabs that must be raised while pulling them apart; similarly with the motor connections on back of the board. There is also 4 screws holding board to bottom of chair chassis-I found that pulling the pin off the recliner arm servo underneath permitted the chair back to be moved forward to access board cover and mounting screws. I would also suggest that one buy the barrel-type thermal cutoff as it is rated for 10 amps while the flat type only 2 or 3. This may make a big difference on warmer days or heavy chair usage. I also plan to drill some holes in the side of the board cover to allow some heat to escape from the transformer. I would suggest only the sides because dust or other debris may be able to fall in from above. I also had to undo one secondary winding and unravel it a few times to create enough room to get at the remains of the fuse. This must go back just like it was. Heat shrink around the winding solder joints should prevent any shorts after retaping it up. I am also going to bench-test the tranny before re-installing. Apparently my replacement parts (I bought 2 round ones from guy in the link above) are already in the country so I'm just waiting for them to arrive. I will try to post some pics and commentary of re-assembly (minus the cursing and expletives I'm sure will occur) when the time comes.

Last edited:

King Kong too

Sep 18, 2020
Sir tcojack . . . . .

View attachment 45530

73's de Edd . . . . .

King Kong too

Sep 18, 2020
I have a King Kong Model 5562 & lately it has been making a groaning noise when in the lower lumbar area. I tried oil on all the moving parts & it was silent for about 15 mins & then it started to groan again. I cannot find a manual & so I was hoping for someone's expertise here.

kland1

Dec 1, 2020
I have a KingKong 5560 Massage chair, I've had it for years but used it only so often.
I moved recently and went to use my chair and power came up as normal LED's moved back and forth and I selected fitness massage and about 5 secs later got an ER message in the top of the display. I'll link a video of each of the things I found and what I learned.
After getting the ER message I started doing the standard unplug, see what's up and kept getting the same error. I then looked it up and found this blog, thank you to all the posters! The part about the thermal fuse made the most sense but if it had blown why was I getting power, so I keep reading and looked up the schematics and was still left with the thermal fuse.
I took the chair apart, video hopefully will make sense, as it will be post disassembly. I found the transformer and removed it, carefully dug into the insulation, found the Thermal fuse, not easy to dig out, and proceeded to debug.
If you're not comfortable with electricity don't do this. I plugged the chair back in, yes it needs to be unplugged when taking the chair apart for safety. Tried the same startup and got the same ER message, so then I carefully shorted the fuse leads out and tried the startup sequence again, and voila it worked and the normal massage sequence started right up. Again thank you to previous folks that posted not only the idea but the parts to fix the problem which I have now ordered. I'll post again when I do the final installation and testing of the new part. I can't upload yet, waiting on admin.

Last edited:

Shredder

Aug 3, 2020
There are separate power supplies for the controls and for the servo motors; that’s why the hand unit works but with no chair response. The giant toroidaltransformer powers the higher-current servos that perform the specific physical functions and also have encoders that sense position.