Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Making a set of quiz lights

Bernard i

Dec 22, 2017
I have built a simple circuit consisting of one lamp and two buttons is there a simple circuit to stop one button working when the other is pressed

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Yes, but you have given so little information that it is impossible to say.
What do you mean by "stop working"?
What kind of switches? Pushbutton? Toggle? Magnetic?
How many poles on each switch?
Is the circuit AC or DC powered?
What kind of light?

Please post a schematic of your circuit.

ak

Bernard i

Dec 22, 2017
I realised the original circuit would not do the job so modified it
What I am trying to do is build a circuit to place between the watches that
Will isolate one when the other is activated

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 58

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
You can do this with logic gates. If you use LEDs then it makes the circuit less complex. I guess you want the light to latch on to let you know who pressed the button first?
Adam

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
You need some kind of cross-connected latching function. With single-pole switches it cannot be done without adding some electronics. Because you have only two stations, this can be done with one chip, 4 diodes, some resistors, and output transistors. How many lights are there? You mentioned one in your original post, but there are two in the schematic.

ak

Bernard i

Dec 22, 2017
You can do this with logic gates. If you use LEDs then it makes the circuit less complex. I guess you want the light to latch on to let you know who pressed the button first?
Adam
Yes that's the idea thanks for the info

Bernard i

Dec 22, 2017
You need some kind of cross-connected latching function. With single-pole switches it cannot be done without adding some electronics. Because you have only two stations, this can be done with one chip, 4 diodes, some resistors, and output transistors. How many lights are there? You mentioned one in your original post, but there are two in the schematic

Yes I realised that one lamp would not do the job so changed the circuit to two lamps. Thanks for the info

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
What is your skill set for building a small logic circuit?
What are the voltage and wattage ratings of the lights?
Do you want to stay with light bulbs or can you change to LEDs?

ak

Bernard i

Dec 22, 2017
1.3w. 12v LEDs only experience is building amps and pre amps when involved in amateur radio but have not operated for several years. No background in electronics it has been a hobby, now 82 but still very much with it.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
The lights work out to 100 mA each. I think this can be done electrically with your two switches, two DPDT relays, plus a third switch for reset. Ar electronically with a dual flip flop IC plus some small components, and two transistors to drive the lights. Which are you most comfortable wiring up?

ak