Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Making a high speed pulser

RobertB50

Sep 16, 2016
Hi, all.
I need to pulse each sensor in a stack of of roughly 1500 sensors. There has to be about 20 microseconds in between pulses, or else my 100khz counter will lose tract. I tried using a LDR that fired a LED... which in turn fired the next LDR and so on. With a small cap in each branch I got this method to work, but LDRs fire way TOO SLOW. Using this method would take 75 seconds to count up all the sensor inputs. I ONLY have 1 second to do this scan. I am COUNTING inputs, NOT timing the whole scan.
I want to try replacing the LDRs with photodiodes in the above circuit. But I am afraid they are TOO fast for my counter to keep tract of. I am not going to go the 555 timer route. I would have to solder in 166 of them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi, all.
I need to pulse each sensor in a stack of of roughly 1500 sensors. There has to be about 20 microseconds in between pulses, or else my 100khz counter will lose tract. I tried using a LDR that fired a LED... which in turn fired the next LDR and so on. With a small cap in each branch I got this method to work, but LDRs fire way TOO SLOW. Using this method would take 75 seconds to count up all the sensor inputs. I ONLY have 1 second to do this scan. I am COUNTING inputs, NOT timing the whole scan.
I want to try replacing the LDRs with photodiodes in the above circuit. But I am afraid they are TOO fast for my counter to keep tract of. I am not going to go the 555 timer route. I would have to solder in 166 of them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Everyone
Before you respond, have a read of this thread

https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/help-connecting-555-timer.280492/#post-1706662

that I closed some time ago when not enough clear info was supplied and the thread got out of hand with wild guesses
because @RobertB50 didn't return to supply better info

The moderators will monitor this thread to make sure it doesn't go the same way
@RobertB50 please supply some drawing of how you expect this to be connected up etc

Dave

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Have you thought about a schmitt trigger, resistor and capacitor for each delay unit?

Bob

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Or, just to tweak a couple of forum mrmbers, how about a chain of 1500
555s?

Bob