Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for IR receiver that controls 4 relays

JackP

May 8, 2017
Im looking for for an IR receiver that controls several relays to use in a home automation project.
Ive looked on ebay and amazon but cant find exactly what I am looking for.
Hoping maybe someone can make a recommendation.

Criteria:
4 independent relay channels (a few more is OK)
relays need to latch on/off
separate on/off command for each relay, not a toggle (this is the part I have not been able to find)
.need to be able to switch 1amp @ 120v (ie not logic level for output, but relay contacts)

Pre-assembled is preferred, but not essential

Thanks

JackP

May 8, 2017
Thanks for your reply.

Just took a look at the PDF on it and there is only 1 button control for each relay.
What I am looking for is a discrete on and discrete off for each relay.

That's what I was trying to say when I said "separate on/off command for each relay" but realize it was a bit ambiguous.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
The IR remote provides twelve independent channels. You said you only needed four. It is a trivial matter to wire two channels to latch and un-latch a third separate relay, thus providing you with six channels (instead of just four) of on/off control.

Do you have any experience with electricity or electronics? I am prohibited from offering engineering advice here in Florida without first obtaining a Florida Professional Engineer license. Perhaps someone else here can draw up the circuit diagram that uses one channel to latch a third relay ON and a second channel to un-latch that relay OFF,,, Note that each of the twelve infrared remote channels features a relay with Form C contacts (normally open as well as normally closed). An experienced "hacker" could re-wire four of the available twelve relays to operate as described, or four external "ice cube" relays could be used.

Your choice, but if it was my project, I would order the remote control and hack it to allow four of the twelve channels to turn on, and latch on, four relays. Then I would use four more channels to un-latch and turn off those four relays. This would mean giving up (permanently) the use of four of the twelve channels, but what the hey! You said you only needed four.