Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for info & ideas on building a compact 5V power supply and transformer.

ocso639

Jul 22, 2011
The closest thing I can find is a 4-port USB charger, it's 5V and 2A, which is exactly what I want.

It's a wall wart though, and I'd like to build one myself rather than take that apart and get the power from there.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or does anyone recommend some components that would fit within about a 2"x2"x1" framework?

Thank you!

Ian

Edit -

To be clear, I'm looking for a transformer (or transformers) that would be small enough to work with this.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I think it's unlikely that you'd find a transformer with that rating to fit within those dimensions.

A SMPS, on the other hand is a more likely proposition.

Why don't you want a wall wart? They're great from a convenience and safety aspect.

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Wall warts are good for reliabiliy, too.
I can't believe you'll be able to build an equivalent unit for anything like the price, either. You can always re-package it.

ocso639

Jul 22, 2011
I should've put this in my original post, but I'm more interested in building one myself for fun than anything else. It's not really about the money, I'm just curious as to how the manufacturers go about making such a compact 5V 2A power supply.

I recently picked up an Arduino and I think it would be fun to build the power supply I need rather than buy one.

THanks for the input, I"m going to look for some info on a SMPS.

Thanks again!