Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Lightning/power surge damage

rohar

Nov 12, 2011
I have three LCD TV"s, one set top box and one DVD recorder. The equipment is usually left on stand-by. My computer has surge protection.

Following an electrical storm the following equipment is US :-
One TV
One Set top box.

The insurer has checked the weather bureau and electric supplier and subsequently agreed that there is a valid claim.

The two working TV's have been very difficult to set up again and sometimes some of the channels are not working and they seize on one channel .

The DVD recorder appears to be working but again has been very difficult to set up.

In your estimation would it be logical to claim all the mentioned equipment.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
"Difficult to set up" sound more like user error than a fault.

If you believe they are genuinely faulty then lodge a claim. But try to have a concrete fault to report.

rohar

Nov 12, 2011
Steve

Many thanks for your response.
I would like to think I am setting up correctly but must admit that is a possibly.
There was some trouble with equipment after a fire some 20 years ago but it didn't show for some weeks after the event.(solder had partially melted) and I am thinking this might be similar

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Some damage is cumulative. and some faults are intermittent.

All I'm saying is that you should try to identify and report something that is concrete.

Like "intermittently sticks on channel 22 and remote cannot be used to change channel", or "Channels intermittently lost forcing a setup from scratch".

That gives the insurance company something to get fixed and the repairer some clue.

After a fire, the residue left inside equipment can be conductive or corrosive, or become so with exposure to humidity. What you describe after a fire is not unexpected.

rohar

Nov 12, 2011
Steve
Thanks for the response and advise. I"ll bear it in mind when discussing with my insurer.
Thanks again
Bob