Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Light switch

Eric58

Oct 20, 2017
hello all, I have a question. We have recently lost power to our back porch light, our oven vent fan and our over the range light, they didn't die all at once but intermittently over a few months, first the would work once and a while, then they would work but only when the kitchen light was on, now they don't work at all (the kitchen light works)...my question is this, does the switch complete the circuit for other loads on the breaker? My intention are to trip the breaker and pull the switch in the morning but I wanted some input first. Thanks, Eric

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
You might have a junction box with bad connections. I believe that the US uses screwed on ceramic connectors. These were made obsolete in the UK before WW2.

You can make a little RF generator to input a signal where there is no power and trace back from there with a portable radio.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Best advice would be to get a registered electrician.
There are many things there that will confuse you and you may end up seriously hurting someone.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Even rodents can cause this type of issue.

A registered electrician should be able to isloate and repair the faults - they are too non-specific for us to work through.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
US uses screwed on ceramic connectors. These were made obsolete in the UK before WW2.
It must have been later than that, I remember using them in the electrical industry in the '50's.
I personally do not like them, but I must say the N.A. version (wire nuts) is quite a bit different to the old UK ceramic ones.
M.