Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Lifting a platform floor under a chair for a flight or car simulator

Gregg Seipp

Mar 17, 2017
Hi,

I'm brand new to the forum...been looking for a place where I can get ideas on a project my son and I are working on.

I am trying to figure out how to create a floor under a chair that lifts the chair at different angles (front, back and to the sides) for a car or flight simulator. I'd imagine a board being lifted by motors at each corner...probably stepper motors all connected to a controller connected to a computer. When an airplane is accelerating the front motors would lift a bit...maybe an inch or two...doesn't have to be much. Same for the back when decelerating...the back would lift, tipping the seat slightly forward. Also the motors could create vibrations (hence why I think stepping motors would be a good choice). I have come up with all kinds of ideas for making such a "chair table" but there are so many questions:

• What's a good method to make the motors lift the board?
  • How strong of a motor would be needed and where can I get one?
  • What's a good controller?
I can use a variety of programming languages...probably C or C++ to control the motors. I already have the API to get what the airplane/car is doing from the simulator.

Thanks for any advice!

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

Mar 17, 2017
Thanks. It's a start. I figure that I'll need a pretty strong motor with some gear reduction and then have it connected to one of those. It'll need to lift, probably 50-60 lbs on each corner of the platform 1-2 inches in a second or less.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
The actuators have the motor built in, you don't need to supply one. 50 - 60 Ibs, no problem just choose one that can lift that and has the required displacement length.
Adam