Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Led turn on when car interior lights turn on

benyboy981

Feb 5, 2016
So In my wagon the interior lights turn on and off when the door and boot is opened.
The front map lights turn on when the doors are opened and the boot light turns on when the boot if opened.
I was wondering if it is possible to wire up some rgb led lights to the front and back of the car.
So when the doors are opened the leds in the front turn on and off with the doors being the switch, and same deal in the boot.
In my mind I've been thinking of something like how an amplifier works, it gets a voltage signal from the head unit and it turns on.
I want to know if there is a way to make that happen but with the lights.i also want an override switch so I can turn all of them on and off and to a mode where they automatic to the doors. Sorry if I haven't explained myself enough or clearly. Thanks in advance

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Are you wanting to add some bright LED lights because the factory interior lights are not bright enough?

benyboy981

Feb 5, 2016
Are you wanting to add some bright LED lights because the factory interior lights are not bright enough?
no I've got rgb led strips I wanna put in the foot well and around the car

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
If you add additional lighting to the circuits then the electronic switches will be overloaded then soon burn out. You must detect the switch turning on the existing lights then turn on a Mosfet that turns on your LED strips.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Don't overcomplicate this modification.
Just connect the LED's in parallel with the interior lights.
The door switches should be able to handle some extra current from a few LED's.
How much current do they draw?

The other thing I would suggest is to replace the dull interior light bulbs with nice bright white LED's.

benyboy981

Feb 5, 2016
Don't overcomplicate this modification.
Just connect the LED's in parallel with the interior lights.
The door switches should be able to handle some extra current from a few LED's.
How much current do they draw?

The other thing I would suggest is to replace the dull interior light bulbs with nice bright white LED's.
I'm working on getting all my lights in the car being replaced with bright cool white led lights. I just want some color in the foot wells because it would be cool haha