Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED supplier ?

Tinker Unique

Dec 1, 2014
Since Radio Shack closed, I'm looking for an LED supplier. I use low power LED's for 3volt hobbies, and occasionally 12 volt projects. Also have a supply of various resistors to 'adapt' amperage. Would like a local supply (Kingsport, TN) , but mail order will do.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Two solutions: a reputable electronics parts distributor, such as Allied Electronics, DigiKey, Jameco, Newark, etc OR eBay. It all depends on how reliable and how well-specified the LEDs are that you want to use. You can get some incredible bargains on eBay from Asian sources, but IMO it is always a craps shoot what you will actually get. And it isn't always possible to get identical repeat orders from Asian vendors on eBay. So caveat emptor (buyer beware) on that.

If you are the adventurous type, drive from Kingsport, TN, to Dayton, OH on I-75. Stop in and visit Mendelson's 3rd Floor surplus electronics. Bring a multimeter to test components. Don't be afraid to make them an offer. Everything there is negotiable. Plan on spending at least a day exploring the third floor. Mendelsons also has an on-line mail-order presence, so you may want to check there first before making a trip to Dayton.

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
It's a good thing that I'm a LONG way from Dayton! I would never see the light of day again.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
It's a good thing that I'm a LONG way from Dayton! I would never see the light of day again.
Well, the Mendelsons experience never gets dull, but eventually the human body becomes numb after walking up and down aisles that are several football fields in length. There just isn't enough time in a single day to stop and examine every interesting trinket, some of which might be actually useful in a project. So, it helps to set aside a week or so and bring plenty of cash or credit cards... you will never be able to find an item on subsequent days that you should have purchased when you first saw it. I know this from experience. There is simply too much inventory to remember where everything is. And it's all rather loosely organized more or less by function. You have to see it to believe it, but I promise you will eventually see the light of day again. Mendelsons closes promptly at 5:00 PM and you DO NOT want to be locked in the store after business hours!

@(*steve*), who lives in Australia, was visiting relatives in nearby Indiana last year, so I offered to show him around the Dayton area... (Neal) Armstrong Air and Space Museum in Wapakoneta, Wright Brothers Memorial on a hill overlooking Huffman Prairie at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, National Museum of the Air Force and (of course) Mendelsons. He found some spiffy blank circuit board material at a good price, but we spent only a few hours touring the 3rd Floor before Steve had to prepare for his return to Indiana and eventually Australia. All in all, a very pleasant day trip and experience for both of us. Well, at least I enjoyed it, and maybe Steve did too.

So, for the price of an airplane ticket, you can fly a LONG way to get to Dayton and visit Mendelsons. You might want to arrange such a trip around the annual Dayton Hamvention where you can find lots of "treasure" in the flea market. Mendelsons packs up several tons of stuff for this event and sells it from a huge tent in the flea market at Hamvention. And of course there are other vendors selling their wares at Hamvention, most but not all of it oriented towards amateur (ham) radio. Come early and make room reservations early, too. Hamvention attracts upwards of twenty thousand paid ticket holders every year, including a few hundred visitors from Europe and Asia.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
@(*steve*), who lives in Australia, was visiting relatives in nearby Indiana last year, so I offered to show him around the Dayton area... (Neal) Armstrong Air and Space Museum in Wapakoneta, Wright Brothers Memorial on a hill overlooking Huffman Prairie at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, National Museum of the Air Force and (of course) Mendelsons. He found some spiffy blank circuit board material at a good price, but we spent only a few hours touring the 3rd Floor before Steve had to prepare for his return to Indiana and eventually Australia. All in all, a very pleasant day trip and experience for both of us. Well, at least I enjoyed it, and maybe Steve did too.

Well, we did go to Mendelson's twice :-D

Great fun.

Should we mention when we tried to steal that car?

edit: Who is this man?
WP_20160123_16_12_36_Pro (Medium).jpg

Last edited: