Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Led stair lights with 2 motion sensor. circuit help!

Thepinkninja

Jan 14, 2018
Hi I would like to ask for some help with a little diy project.

I want to put individual led lights up the stairs on a parallel circuit. With 2 motion sensors 1 at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom.

I would only like them to operate when it is dark so woukd assume i need a light sensor also.

How do i wire this up and what do i need to complete this job?

Extreme electronics beginner all help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rich

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There are many motion sensors available. you have two, so you need to operate the LEDS when either is active. These often remain ON for some period after they detect movement, so you probably won't have to do that yourself.

A light sensor based on an LDR is pretty simple. Sometimes they are combined with motion detectors. Either way, you will have either 1 (for the entire starcase) or 2 (associated with each motion sensor). Detecting darkness can be an issue when you use it to turn on lights. Ensure that placement is such that the lights are not "seen" by the sensor!

You need to define the required logic. A simple example would be that the lights should be ON when (sensor 1 detects movement OR sensor 2 detects movement) AND the light sensor says it is dark.

There are various ways of doing this, but it comes down to the exact sensors you use.

If you use something like this, most of the work is done for you (including making it look nice). If you choose something like this, you'll have more work to do (including needing a light sensor).

When it comes to the LEDs themselves, I would recommend you look at LED strips. It may be easier to run a strip along the wall near the treads than actually fit individual LEDs. If you really want to place multiple LEDs in parallel, ensure that each one has its own resistor. (See here for more details).

Depending on the load, the motion detectors won't be able to switch it directly. You might be able to use a solid state relay, or a small circuit to switch the heavier load (and implement the switching logic).

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
An LDR detects light but you said your stairs are dark so it cannot be used. A motion detector can also use infrared light (that is invisible) to detect motion. The infrared light is on all the time so it uses some electricity all the time but it can be pulsed to reduce its power.

You probably need to detect daylight to turn off the motion detector infrared light but it must not "see" the infrared light.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I was thinking passive infra red sensors, so your body emits the light they detect

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I do not know if a passive IR detector will detect heat from the LEDs that light the stairs.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I doubt that you'd point the PIR at the LEDs.