Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED Driver

reconerboy

Aug 7, 2017
Hey guys,

Im new here and I have a question.

I want to build my own LED Pannel and im a bit confused at choosing the right driver.
There are drives for example with 48-142V Output and there are also drives with 36V.
What does the 48-142V means? Do I have to put at least a 48+V consumer on it?

PS: Sorry for the german links but I think its no problem to understand the datasheet.

Best greetings,
Alexander

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
LED panels are usually made from a parallel 'array' of series connected individual LEDs. Each LED may drop between 1.2 and 3.6V (depends on colour) and a series chain of LEDs is usually made to run at the chosen voltage 24V, 36V, 48V etc.

The driver unit you get will have to be purchased to match the voltage of the LED panel you have (or make).

EXAMPLE

If you use white LEDs for example, these may have a volt drop of 3V each. Check the data sheet of the LED you decide to use - they all differ.

You can make a panel up of 12 white LEDs in series (totalling 36V as 12 x 3 = 36). If each LED is rated at 1 watt then you have a series chain rated at 36V and 12 watts. 36V at 12W means a current draw of 300mA (0.3A)

You can add a couple of these chains in parallel with each other and the POWER increases accordingly - two chains in parallel means 24 watts total etc (still 36V though).

Then you power it using an LED driver that has the correct voltage - in this case you need 36V - and also has sufficient power to drive them all. For a panel with two chains of 12 LEDs all rated at 1 watt (total power of 24 watts as above) you need a 36V driver of AT LEAST 24 watts (600mA) to run it.

Simple mathematics really....

reconerboy

Aug 7, 2017
Thanks for your reply but you didn't understand me right.

I know that I can run them parallel (Amp drops) or serial (Volt drops).

Im just confused by the driver data. I want to run 2 CREE CXB3590 at 1.4 Amps serial with 36v each so I need at least 72v 1.4c driver. I think to get a bigger one with more voltage to have more space for another one or two LEDS in the future.

The two drivers above were just examples and they have nothing to do with my project.

My question was:
What does the 48-142V means? Do I have to put at least a 48+V consumer on it?

In german every thing that absorbs enegry (fridge/oven/led) is called "Verbraucher" which is consumer in english, I dont know if thats correct at english.

Please help me and have a nice evening

Best greetings
Alexander

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Other than your links being 'crossed' the 48-142V devices are simply drivers where the user can set the output voltage (allows you to have 'any' number of LEDs in your string).

The range of adjustment is, as you state, from 48V so there will be a MINIMUM number of LEDs required in any string - the maximum also being set by the highest voltage available.