Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LCD Clock kit

grenkol

Jan 4, 2010
Hello. I'm new to the forum as well as to electronics. I am a novice product designer and looking to assemble my own LCD Clock. Could anyone point me in the direction of a reliable, affordable seller of the necessary parts to do so?

Thanks in advance.

G

Graham

Nov 10, 2009
Hi Grenkol,
well, I guess the first thing is to know where in the world you are looking to get the kit from. While this interweb thingy makes it easier to access 'information' from all around the globe, if you are sourcing parts, it is generally both cheaper and quicker to get them locally rather than shipping them from abroad (though there are exceptions to this rule).

If you are in the UK, then Maplin was always my 'goto' site for first reference. They may not be the cheapest, but their catalogues always used to be like a vast reference manual. Then there was Watford Electronics, but I believe they've gone out of business since I left the UK 5 years ago.

In Australia (where I am now), there is a company called Jaycar... They have a big store in Sydney, but only a handful of smaller shopfronts elsewhere though Australia as far as I'm aware (luckily I live in Sydney, and work just a 10 minute walk from the main store). I'm not sure what their range of stock is like for individual components other than your normal stuff like transistors, resistors, capacitors, diodes and LEDs - I find the search on their website somewhat difficult to get any results from, but they too have a paper catalogue that reads more like a manufacturer's data sheet.

I can't help much for enywhere else in the world except to say that Tandy and/or Radio Shack seem to exist almost everywhere, though they are not quite so good if you want to buy individual components rather than kits. There is also RS Components who have a fairly large international web presence even if they don't have stores near you.

Hope that helps some,
Graham