Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Lavaguava... pixelated?

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
That looks nice Gryd3. You may find that saving it as a PNG file gives a crisper looking result and/or a smaller file size; JPG is intended for continuous-tone images such as photographs (the P in JPG is the clue here!) and you need to use a high quality setting to avoid compression artifacts on line drawings.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
That looks nice Gryd3. You may find that saving it as a PNG file gives a crisper looking result and/or a smaller file size; JPG is intended for continuous-tone images such as photographs (the P in JPG is the clue here!) and you need to use a high quality setting to avoid compression artifacts on line drawings.
Was going to export an PNG, but switched to jpg at the last minute... I'm familiar with how jpg compresses the images, and figured it would be good enough for this image, as the lines edges are actually feathered about 2px out from the actual 'line'. I did this to help soften it up.
I should really dig more into png though...

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Oh good. I see JPG used a LOT for line drawings. I just want to yell at people, "JPG is for photos! Not line drawings!"

I used to use GIF for all non-continuous-tone images but I found that PNG is usually somewhat more compact. And it's very widely supported.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Never actually tested the results...
Touched up the original in Gimp Image editor

PNG compression = 9
JPG quality = 90
There is also a black/white image which is a difference map between the two images which shows the noise from the jpg compression.
Zoomed out, you can hardly tell. Zoomed in, the solid orange color is composed of various similar shades in the jpg.

Good call on that format Kris. I didn't actually think jpg messed with it that much. Just figured it blurred the edges a little and lost a bit of detail... but it actually changed a solid color to a range of various shades...

Attachments

• lavadiff.png
    lavadiff.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 111
  • lava.png
    lava.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 108