Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Jack replacement help

jtomanel

Mar 31, 2013
I am trying to repair a broken input jack on a guitar amplifier. I am semi experienced in soldering, but not so much with removing solder and working on PCBs. Anyway, while de-soldering the broken jack, three of the six pads on the PCB have come up. I know you can repair by revealing tracks and soldering either directly or wire to those, but I do not see any tracks on either side of the board. I hope I do not need a replacement for it is over $100. I can't seem to get a clear picture of the board or I would upload. The amp is a Line 6 Spider iii 120 Watt guitar amplifier.

Thank you to anyone that can help!

Joe

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Please try to get a good picture.

Try to get one using bright indirect lighting and NOT a flash.

Too much heat for too long will do that. If there are no visible traces, they could be on the other side or even internal. It is also possible that these are just to mechanically secure the jack and are not connected, but obviously this will not apply to all connections.

jtomanel

Mar 31, 2013
Okay, got my brother to take it with his smart phone. I can't believe they take better pictures than a camera. Attached are the pictures of both sides of the input board.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 147
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 119

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, you really have butchered that board. :(

Presuming you can actually get a replacement jack socket for that board, you're going to have to do repairs.

Do you still have the socket you removed? You need to determine what connects to what on it.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Still lots of glare in the pictures and thus it's hard to identify what if any traces got ot the pads you killed...

The good is that it's a small simple board so repair will not be horrible...

Can you take some picture out in the sunlight, or hold the board up to a light and take a picture of the board with the light shining through it... Again both sides, so we can better see the traces...

jtomanel

Mar 31, 2013
Yea I know I messed it up pretty bad. Of course not having the correct tools, I used an iron and a bubble sucker at first...then after being unsuccessful in removing all solder went out and got a desoldering braid. Lesson learned haha. I shined a flashlight underneath and was finally able to make out the traces. Attached is the picture. It looks as if only two, maybe four of the points are being used. Bottom left and top right have distinct traces. I think the bottom right has a very tiny trace going to the top. And cannot tell if top right has a trace to the components next to it. I will try and take better pictures tomorrow in the daylight.

Thanks for your responses!

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 138

Dustysnakes

Apr 5, 2013
It looks like most of it is just to stabilize the jack. the far right top in image 1 seems to be connected to the bottom side of C43 which makes sense as does the bottom left pin being connected directly to ground.

jtomanel

Mar 31, 2013
I had a friend help me who was more experienced in fixing pcb's. Two of the traces were still good, two that were damaged were unused, and on the last two we used a wire to jumper to where the traces were going. Luckily it worked after the first attempt! I learned a lot in this process, and would like to thank everyone that gave their input. This is a great forum for electronics. I plan on continuing to learn and hopefully contribute where I can! Solder on fellas!

Joe

Last edited: