Maker Pro
Maker Pro

It's 1890!

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
My tractor and chainsaw would come in mighty handy.
Who needs them new fangled electronics gadgets?

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
I wouldn't bother with a sports almanac. That's something that Biff would think of and be mystified when it didn't predict winning teams due to the Butterfly Effect that would be certain to ensue. The almanac might be good for a few months, but it's anybody's guess when sports history is going to diverge from the original timeline.

I thought about this at length and decided that I'm probably better off than most of you guys if I'm "About to be thrown back to 1890". Since I'm limited to two items, clearly I can't grab two extra items besides what I'm wearing at the moment I'm thrown. My pants, for instance, have a zipper that the world was ready for in 1890 but hadn't been invented yet. My shoes have details of construction that hadn't been invented--no tacks. Even my digital wristwatch would be worth a small fortune in 1890, even though it couldn't be reproduced: Sailing navigation in 1890 was entirely dependent on a clock that could keep accurate time for months on end.

So in keeping with the original stipulation, I'm compelled to the conclusion that articles of clothing count as "items". I'm possibly in a better position than most of you (pun intended) because in 1890, where I now live was either in a field near a woods, or in a woods near cultivated fields; and within walking distance of a farmhouse. I wouldn't have to land naked in the middle of a town/city and spend my first night/week/month in jail. I'd be able to hide my two items and concoct a plausible story to explain my condition, weave some covering, and approach (cautiously) sympathetic farm people to get started.

Also, I can see well enough without my glasses that I could get by until I could find an oculist. Yeah, that's an "Item" too (or so I have to infer in the absence of more stipulations). And I'm not dependent on any medicines to stay alive and functional.

All that being said, I'm going to delay a few days to name my two items that I had to grab up before being thrown back to land naked in a field in 1890. It's late and I have to go to bed and probably can't be back online for a few days.