Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Issues with vintage JVC CRT TV

JerichoXX

Aug 1, 2018
Hello,

This is my first time on the forum, I didn't know where else to turn since I am unable to figure out the issue that is currently bothering me. I thank anyone who responds to this forum, anyway. I currently have a three tube tv setup, where I have three tube tv's all hooked up to a vintage Radioshack RF out video selector. The three tv's are a 1978 Electrohome, a 1989 Mitsubishi and a 1984 JVC. The first two are working fine, the JVC is not. The model number for the JVC is C-14SSCA.

I found the tv recently at a thrift store, the tv turns on. However when I first got it, all the channels were incorrect, it only had channels like 2, 7, 45, etc. The tv is capable of reprogramming channels, so I tried reprogramming a channel 3 on it, however I get no video still. Its not the radioshack box either, as I tried without using it. Its nothing but static with no indication of any input, the channel 4 kinda works, but the video is all messed up. I have no idea where to even begin.

Hopefully someone knows what the issue might be.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
The world has moved on. TV tubes have a finite lifespan, what are you going to do when the tube wears out even if you repair the rest?

They are wasting a lot of power for what they do. Suppose you could make them last forever, magically, without any effort on your part. Would this be a good thing when the power savings would pay for new TVs?

Do you not accept that at some point things wear out to the point where they are not cost effective to repair? I wish this wasn't the case, and some times it isn't, with some audio amps for example, but for TVs, this seems like an exercise in madness and that you're a glutton for punishment to want 4:3 SD ratio blurry tube TV.

Where to begin is finding a recycler for all that junk. It's one thing to keep using another ancient tv set a little longer but a different thing to try to repair it, lacking the ability to do so no less, expecting another tour of duty out of it.

I realize this is contrary to the spirit of this forum but at the same time we are all also geeks about tech and it makes no sense to do what you are wanting to unless you are stuck in some horrific slum in China where all you have is old CRT TV sets to try to bring more than cows mooing into your life. Sorry that's just how I see it, can't fathom someone in Canada reaping any benefit from what you want to do.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
There's probably a good reason the set was in a thrift store to begin with........

I have no particular issue with people using old CRT sets - nostalgia has its place in life too - but if the set is receiving on other channels it should receive on your chosen channel too unless you've either programmed it wrongly or there is an issue with the signal level from the modulator?

Have you tried using the set on it's own (with the modulator) i.e. not driving all three at once?

JerichoXX

Aug 1, 2018
In regards to the two replies, I am using these tube tv's for retro gaming and watching laserdiscs. I have modern televisions as well. I have tried just plugging in something directly into the rf, and alas still nothing, neither channel 3 or 4 work properly. I am quite certain I programmed the channels correctly. Anyway, thanks for the replies, I am just gonna give up on this one.