Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ISO a particular switch. Don't know what it's called/to look for

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
I'm pretty green in electronics. I'm planning on rigging a switch between my cats' fountain that is activated by them stepping on say a board placed on top of it they would step on approaching the fountain for a drink to turn it on, that would be spring loaded preferably so it would return to open position once the weight(of the cat) leaves. Are there spring loaded switches like this or will I have to put something together? I hate the sound of the fountain pump going on all the time. It's a horrible sound. Thanks!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
  • Probably a standard micro switch. Most have changeover contacts to suit whatever application. In your case you would possibly mount the switch so it could be operated by a hinged platform using the common(C) and normally closed(NC) contacts in series with the pump. I am assuming here that the pump is low voltage. If it is mains operated do NOT use this method. Please advise......

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
  • Probably a standard micro switch. Most have changeover contacts to suit whatever application. In your case you would possibly mount the switch so it could be operated by a hinged platform using the common(C) and normally closed(NC) contacts in series with the pump. I am assuming here that the pump is low voltage. If it is mains operated do NOT use this method. Please advise......
Thanks. You are what?

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
I not familiar with the terminals. Some I'm looking at have 3. The one above has two. When I split the power cord, what will I connect to what? Thanks.

For ex: "normally open", "normally closed ", and "common". What are the differences?

Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
A switch can either make (normally opened) or break (normally closed) a contact. The ones with three terminals with do both. The common terminal is common to both the make and break terminals.

Contrary to what bluejets said, you need a normally open switch. This means, in the normal position the contacts are open and the pump is not running. When the lever is pressed the contacts close and the pump runs.

If you get a three terminal switch, you would use the common and the NO (normally open) contacts and ignore the NC one.

Bob

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The picture shows a three terminal change over switch. The common terminal is tucked underneath and only the edge can be seen. I have never seen a two terminal microswitch but then I have not seen many types.:)

The terminals on this size of switch will be quarter inch Lucas connections, you can solder to them or get the push-on clip as used on automobiles.

Last edited:

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
A switch can either make (normally opened) or break (normally closed) a contact. The ones with three terminals with do both. The common terminal is common to both the make and break terminals.

Contrary to what bluejets said, you need a normally open switch. This means, in the normal position the contacts are open and the pump is not running. When the lever is pressed the contacts close and the pump runs.

If you get a three terminal switch, you would use the common and the NO (normally open) contacts and ignore the NC one.

Bob
Thanks Bob

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
What powers the cat fountain? Is it a water tank with a pulp or valve, or is it a valve on a water supply line? What is the voltage rating or the valve or pump? Not all switches work with all devices, so it is important to know what is being switched.

ak

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Another thing is that cats can be very wary of surfaces that are not firm. If operation of the switch moves the platform too much, the cat might not want to step on it.

A switch is easy, and it's great if it works, but there are many other ways to skin a cat... ummmm, perhaps not the best turn of phrase.

Another way might be to support the platform on a couple of tactile switches. The cat's weight would almost certainly trigger one or more of them, and they have a very small movement required to actuate them.

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
What powers the cat fountain? Is it a water tank with a pulp or valve, or is it a valve on a water supply line? What is the voltage rating or the valve or pump? Not all switches work with all devices, so it is important to know what is being switched.

ak

Lol, couldn't answer any of those questions. It's got a little pump and it connects to the wall. That's all I know. Thanks

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
Another thing is that cats can be very wary of surfaces that are not firm. If operation of the switch moves the platform too much, the cat might not want to step on it.

A switch is easy, and it's great if it works, but there are many other ways to skin a cat... ummmm, perhaps not the best turn of phrase.

Another way might be to support the platform on a couple of tactile switches. The cat's weight would almost certainly trigger one or more of them, and they have a very small movement required to actuate them.

Thanks. So a google search pulled up buttons. Electrics buttons. That's what you have in mind? If so, seems like it would require precise paw placement no?

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Lol, couldn't answer any of those questions. It's got a little pump and it connects to the wall. That's all I know. Thanks
That's a start.
Is it a line cord straight to the wall like an a table lamp,
or is the plug a "wall wart" like a calculator power supply,
or is there something between the wall and the pump, similar to but smaller than a laptop power supply?

Since you will be switching the power to the pump, it is important to know what that power is. Photos?

ak

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
That's a start.
Is it a line cord straight to the wall like an a table lamp,
or is the plug a "wall wart" like a calculator power supply,
or is there something between the wall and the pump, similar to but smaller than a laptop power supply?

Since you will be switching the power to the pump, it is important to know what that power is. Photos?

ak

Straight cable, no transformer (?) or anything. It's this :

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Fountain-Aqua-Cube-Pet-Fountain-40-oz-Cats-Dogs/20221783

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I think the idea is that the pump runs all the time so the animal sees this nice running water thing to drink from.

We had one for our cats and the idea of making it run intermittently is a good thing.

Switching mains power is not a thing for a beginner though, especially around water. The one we had ran from a low voltage transformer, it's a shame this one doesn't.

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
If this in fact runs on 110 volts (doesn't have a "wall-wart" transformer) then wiring your own switch is probably a bad idea. Unless you're an electrician (in which case, you wouldn't be asking this question).

Animals tend to be more sensitive to shocks than people, and having water and exposed ac voltages nearby is a recipe for fried cat.

If I were doing this, I would try to combine a plug-in indoor light sensor control (Amazon or Home depot, six bucks or so) with a lamp, position the lamp so it shines on the light sensor (keeping the pump off), until said kitty approaches the watering trough, shadowing the light sensor, and turning on the pump.

juntjoo

Jun 8, 2015
If this in fact runs on 110 volts (doesn't have a "wall-wart" transformer) then wiring your own switch is probably a bad idea. Unless you're an electrician (in which case, you wouldn't be asking this question).

Animals tend to be more sensitive to shocks than people, and having water and exposed ac voltages nearby is a recipe for fried cat.

If I were doing this, I would try to combine a plug-in indoor light sensor control (Amazon or Home depot, six bucks or so) with a lamp, position the lamp so it shines on the light sensor (keeping the pump off), until said kitty approaches the watering trough, shadowing the light sensor, and turning on the pump.

Thanks. I may try this, though, why would the cats be more sensitive to these electronics just because I put in switch?