Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Inverter Generator won't produce power

Jsanford

Aug 8, 2018
The 'motor generator' part of the device must have a voltage of some kind coming from it. If that voltage can be converted to something a standard inverter can use then there is no reason why you can't do the substitution as you suggest.

Do you know what the motor-generator side actually puts out? I suspect it won't be anything 'normal'.

It appears to be 3ph, no idea what the voltage is, have to check that tonight.

debe

Oct 15, 2011
If you are in America then the generator feeds 3 phase around 250V ac to the inverter. There is also a 12V ac feed for the electronics in the inverter module. The inverter also drives the stepper motor on the carby to control the engine speed.

debe

Oct 15, 2011
I did build this unit from Ebay & powered it from an inverter generator that had a failed inverter. Due to loss of control of engine RPM the input voltage rose too high & the MOSFETs failed. I then shelved the project.SINEWAVE INVERTER CIRCUIT.jpg SINEWAVE INVERTER BOARD.2.jpg

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If you are in America then the generator feeds 3 phase around 250V ac to the inverter.
Citation?

Most inverter-generators would (I'm led to believe) operate on the usual UPS-inverter method taking a low(ish) DC voltage and inverting it as required.

Starting with a high AC volts and 'converting' to a lower AC volts seems counter-productive to me.

The simplest (and therefore cheapest) method would be to utilise existing systems/devices therefore a motor-driven 12V alternator (ex-car type) feeding a straightforward UPS-style inverter would be the most cost-effective solution.

I actually have two small inverter-generators myself but (so far!) have resisted the temptation to dismantle and pokey-pokey.... quite unlike me really - I must be ill!

Jsanford

Aug 8, 2018
Yes I would have assumed 24 or 48 volts DC myself, haven't checked it yet the 12 volt side of the inverter module seems to be operating fine the generator starts and runs on low and high speed, lights work etc just no high voltage output from the module. If it is indeed 120 or 240 volt output from the coil I will just bypass the high-voltage side of the module, not running anything important are from this thing anyway, how much was that eBay module, wondering if that may work in my situation

Jsanford

Aug 8, 2018
I figured more than 12v otherwise I don't see why you would have to separate coils

debe

Oct 15, 2011
Kellys_eye, what models are the generators?. Since yours are probably 240V models be aware that at higher engine RPMs & no load the 3 phase voltage will be close 350V to 400V. The reason they use high voltage is a reduction of current for a given Wattage. This is the stator & inverter from a Kipor 2600 Watt 240V inverter generator. Back in post 11 is the circuit for this generator..KIPOR  STATOR.1.JPG KIPOR INVERT MOD.1.JPG

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Interesting - I haven't seen the insides of one of those (or my own model) so it's a new sight to me. The coil arrangement reminds me of the direct-drive washing machine motors that people convert to generators. High voltage output does seem to be the kind of result....

I'd be even more interested to see a controller for one of those now!

Jmar7

Oct 29, 2018
Hello. I got the same generator discussed here and by my own fault pushing my luck used both the Ac and dc outputs at same time and now lost all output eventhough the power light still shows power on (green) . Two questions. One) can any body tell me why this or most generators warn against using both outputs types at same time? Is that too much for electronic controls to handle or the windings can't handle the load and 2) are this inverter boards or modules available anywhere and what ball park the price runns? I fihure those are non servisable thus the epoxy. Thanks.

mikes210

Jul 13, 2019
I have an HW2000i and it's doing the same thing . Runs good but no 110v output.

But is providing 12vdc to battery charging outlet .
OVERLOAD light blinks red sometimes.
OUTPUT READY light never comes on like it should

debe

Oct 15, 2011
Most probably the Inverter board is the faulty part.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014