Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Interpupillary Distance Adjustment on a Microscope Impossible?

JohnS0N

Nov 14, 2016
I remember having problems with it in college, I could only ever see on one eye, no matter what I did on the microscope binoculars I could never merge those two circles into one.

Now I bought myself a nice Bresser science TRM 301 microscope and am fiddling with the settings since two days and have finally ran out of ideas.

Could it be that some people can not adjust the binoculars due to xyz? Or am I missing something?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I remember having problems with it in college, I could only ever see on one eye, no matter what I did on the microscope binoculars I could never merge those two circles into one.
hi there

since this is not electronics related, I have moved it to the off-topic members lounge area of the forum

it is possible some one may be able to give you help .... I don't know if any of our members are opticians

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, the theory is that you adjust the microscope until it works for you.

I also have problems with binocular microscopes, and I have been known to just close one eye. Binocular microscopes are not stereoscopic so if you close one eye you don't lose information.

JohnS0N

Nov 14, 2016
Well, the theory is that you adjust the microscope until it works for you.

I also have problems with binocular microscopes, and I have been known to just close one eye. Binocular microscopes are not stereoscopic so if you close one eye you don't lose information.

Well yes, I tried adjusting it for the last couple of days, but it seems like an impossible task. I really wanted to get it working as it is intended.

I suppose the question would be, if for some people like us the only way to watch through binoculars is with one eye?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I have no problems with binoculars, but I do with binocular microscopes. I use neither regularly. It could be something about the way I hold my head. If you figure out what the solution is for you, let me know :)

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
Can you elaborate?
The Binoculars I have are 50x and at first were not centered yet both in focus. I noticed that I could gently twist the coaxial alignment to make it worse and better and even though it was fairly stiff and elastic, I was able to adjust it and stick to perfect alignment with a bit of twisting.
______
______

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Maybe get an optical microscope>composite video adaptor ?
I've seen these advertised in the past but no idea who / where..
Try e-bay / OLX etc.
edit:
Back again.
Just Googled "Optical Microscope Adaptor"
then added , Slovenia to the search.
Try:
(China) cn.microscope.com
(Slovenia) micro-shop.zeiss.com
otherwise google as I wrote above - lots of sites.

Last edited:

JohnS0N

Nov 14, 2016
Cheers Fuzz, that is actually what I have done. Problem solved. It really is worth the money. No strain on the eyes. I can really recommend everyone who has a microscope to do this. Your eyes will be grateful.

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
although you lost stereo depth perception , at least you have better 2D vision. The unit has coaxial adjustment for this , did you try? unless it was a twist error.

JohnS0N

Nov 14, 2016
Oh, so that is what it is called? Yes, I did, unfortunately to no avail. I also worked in a lab for a short period of time, so I had quite a number of microscopes to test and play with and I could not, on any of them, see properly.

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
if cylindrical correction is large in your prescription, this can cause distortion. but spherical coaxial and right eye offset spherical correction is std. Other issues like tunnel vision or glaucoma notwithstanding.

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
If you work in a lab,you get an optical microscope composite video adaptor!
If not,you get the council version.......A PATCH! :confused: