Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Industrial voltage divider

Emam

Jul 7, 2014
Dear all,

I need a simple voltage divider circuit to convert +24 V into +5 V.
I can easily do that by building a circuit using 2 resistances.

I would like to know if there are industrial dividers for this purpose.
I am searching for a possible quick insallation DIN rail divider to do that.

Could you please tell me if I can find something like that?

Bests regards

Last edited by a moderator:

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I do not know about industrial devices. Whatever, you will need more specifications on what you require.
A 7805 or LM317T regulator will be able to supply 1A with a stable output. A couple of resistors will not do this.

Emam

Jul 7, 2014
Thank you for your answer.
Yes in fact I may use a quick circuit using regulators you suggested to me.
Bests regards

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
How much current do you need at 5V? If it is 1A, then the regulator would dissipate 19W of power and need a massive heat sink and probably a fan.

On the other hand, a DC to DC converter (buck converter) would be much more efficient and produce far less heat. I would not use a linear regulator unless the max current was under 100mA.

And just FYI, a voltage divider is not used to supply power, it is only used to when a miniscule amount of current is drawn.

Bob

Emam

Jul 7, 2014
Thank you.

Yes in fact I dont need high currents. I need only few mA.

I would like to control a TTL micro-controller with a force sensor . The force sensor output signal is digital +24 V. So I would like to convert it to TTL (digital 0 /+5V) in order to connect it to my micro-controller. Thats it !

But the only thing I wanted is to avoid using home made voltage divider circuits with resistances. I was searching for an industrial one for ex easily mounted on DIN rails.
But apparently it does not exists.

Bests regards

Emam

Jul 7, 2014
Thank you. very interesting.
Simply I think that since the industrial world are using +24 Volts to control motors, actuators, sensors etc.
And some microcontrollers and processors are +5V TTL.
I am a bit upset to see that there are no quik-install dividers on the market.
So either there is a need to buy expensive potentiometers, or to create a PCB.

Thanks by the way and bests regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I am a bit upset to see that there are no quik-insatlled deviders on the market.
Typically an industrial control has a specialized digital input which accepts not only 24 V but also filters the signal to reduce noise, has a potential separation (isolation) to decouple the microcontroller from the harsh process environment and improve EMC. Therefore there is typically no need for an external resistive divider.