Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Inductive sensor

Arte

Aug 17, 2017
I have a circuit using a 16ga wire, with a 10 amp load.
I want to attach a non invasive sensor to the wire that will detect current flow (like my inductive amp clamp on my Fluke)and send a signal to trip a relay to activate a higher amperage load.
Does this device actually exist ?
I have been searching the Digikey site but no luck.

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
I have a circuit using a 16ga wire, with a 10 amp load.
I want to attach a non invasive sensor to the wire that will detect current flow (like my inductive amp clamp on my Fluke)and send a signal to trip a relay to activate a higher amperage load.
Does this device actually exist ?
I have been searching the Digikey site but no luck.
Just wiring a relay in wont do it? As soon as the required voltage hits the relay coil it would let the load pass. Do you mean any current? Or a specific threshold?

Arte

Aug 17, 2017
Just wiring a relay in wont do it? As soon as the required voltage hits the relay coil it would let the load pass. Do you mean any current? Or a specific threshold?
I have a vehicle that I cant tap into the harness for a relay trigger to run an extra set of HID driving light off my high beam circuit.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
An auto electrician should be able to point you in the right direction for your particular make model ( whatever it is as not shown here). Also they will most likely be able to advise whether legal or not to do the modification in your particular country/ region whatever that also may be. Wiring of some negative return systems can make adding extra loads from the high beam a little difficult to say the least for the inexperienced.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Only hall effect is useful in this case. Even then, unless you can make a coil of wire to sense from then a non contact solution isn't easy. What's the problem with using a sense resistor?

Arte

Aug 17, 2017
An auto electrician should be able to point you in the right direction for your particular make model ( whatever it is as not shown here). Also they will most likely be able to advise whether legal or not to do the modification in your particular country/ region whatever that also may be. Wiring of some negative return systems can make adding extra loads from the high beam a little difficult to say the least for the inexperienced.
2011 BMW/CANADA and it is legal here.
I just thought someone may have an idea of a pick up I may use.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
No reason why you can't tap into the harness. A resistor could sense the voltage and draw effectively zero current doing so - certainly so little that it won't affect other sensing circuitry. The transistor can then operate a relay.

Arte

Aug 17, 2017
No reason why you can't tap into the harness. A resistor could sense the voltage and draw effectively zero current doing so - certainly so little that it won't affect other sensing circuitry. The transistor can then operate a relay.
That's what the was going to do initially but was hoping there was a way to not go into the harness. Thanks

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
I have a vehicle that I cant tap into the harness for a relay trigger to run an extra set of HID driving light off my high beam circuit.
My brother did this. He just wired the lights from the battery through a switch. Battery to switch to lights. No relay needed

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
As I said, the negative return switching will cause headaches unless you know what you are doing. The lights in the majority of these vehicles are constant line feed so even tapping can cause feedback. Without relays you will cook wiring and existing switching which were never designed for the additional loading. In some instances this extra loading can reach in excess of 16 amp. Not to mention voltage drop problems.

Last edited:

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
There are the ACS712 modules on ebay for a $1.00 select 5a, 20a, or 30a version.
If you want completely non-invasive types there is the Honeywell CDSA series that sense current level or just the presence of.
M.