Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Idiot with coffee fetish

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
^ Oh, power means corded. ;)

I thought of that but as I have been using a cordless drill held on at one third power to achieve a rpm of about 60 or so, I thought why not buy a power drill and mount the motor on a stand and then just wind back it's speed.

Yeah it makes more sense to just buy a more suitable motor if one were to do this project at all... maybe buy a coffee grinder and take the motor out of that. :D:D:D:D:D

MJ74

Sep 21, 2018
So, thanks for taking an interest. Just a couple of things...
Firstly, there are coffee grinders and coffee grinders. Cheap grinders produce uneven grounds and poor tasting coffee. I have a medium expensive grinder sitting in my kitchen that I use for 90% of my coffee needs. However, this project is to make a Turkish coffee grind which is as fine as talcum powder. There are two kinds of grinders that can achieve this; manual hand grinders and expensive electric grinders. To acheive a Turkish grind with an electric machine you'd be lucky to pick something up for less than 600€ and more probable in the vicinity of 1000€.
Luckily hand grinders do a sterling job and are cheap. Unfortunately hand grinders are Labor intensive and not much fun. Which leads me here..a drive for my hand grinder. I already tried buying a supposedly high torque dc motor, a power supply, and a coupling. I hooked that up to the grinder but unfortunately the torque wasn't sufficient and it stuck.
As I stated in a previous post I have been using a cordless drill so knew that would work if I could somehow set it up to a semi auto system where I didn't need to sit there with the drill in hand.
In my ignorance of all things electrical I dreamed of manufacturing a housing for the motor and a semi respectable looking stand to sit next to my flash looking commercial grinder.
It seems, due to the small conversation here, that perhaps bluejets's suggestion of a clamp on the trigger and fixing the complete drill to the stand may save me a lot of stress.

And yes, in my expert language, power drill means corded drill o_O

MJ74

Sep 21, 2018
Yeah it makes more sense to just buy a more suitable motor if one were to do this project at all... maybe buy a coffee grinder and take the motor out of that. :D:D:D:D:D

That may be the better idea. I did say I was an idiot didn't I?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
I was kidding about the coffee grinder motor because it would probably be either AC, or be junk not worth using. If AC it's probably got the housing of the grinder as the motor housing too. I just don't see it as time effective to try to build a motor housing.

Instead if forced to make this I would probably use a gear reduced DC motor. They are not cheap as new retail products but I'd seek surplus to lower cost. Before buying I would see if there is a way to put a torque wrench on the mechanism to determine the necessary torque to keep it from binding, and use that torque figure to narrow down a cost effective, capable motor.

Granted in the US I can get loaner tool torque wrenches for free (w/deposit) from auto parts stores, if I had to buy one instead then it could be cheaper to just overshoot on the motor torque instead, buy a motor assembly with more margin.