Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I am trying to repair a Tektronix 2712 Spectrum Analyzer that stopped all of its menu & display

Chuck Cooper

Mar 1, 2017
I.E. Blank CRT Screen!!! It got bounced around in the back of a Toyota Truck running off of a portable generator for electricity supply? It kept blowing it's 2 Amp P.S. fuse so when I opened it up, I found the MOV on the incoming power line to be blown out but not fiercely, just split apart into two halves! I replaced this optimistic that the unit would take off and run again, and it did so far as the front LED's but no CRT display. In checking the HV CRT Supply, I found this to be missing! The LV Supply test points all seem to be normal but no step-up on the T230 Transformer that supplies the 1400 V DC to the CRT!!
Now I'm not so keen on CRT's these days, they are kind of a thing of the past!! Has anyone out there had any experience on the above fault and the solution to get the display back, or even similar faults on any SA that they may have encountered?? Any tips will be very much appreciated!!

Thank You!!
Chuck

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I don't remember, but others here have recommended a Tektronix web-site that has a lot of experienced guys
who know specifically about Tektronix gear. Maybe somebody else here will supply you with that website
in a following post.
My recommendation for now, considering the description of the circumstances, is to recheck all of the electrical
connectors inside the instrument in case any of them became loose because of rough handling. Then check-
over all fuses that might be internal and mounted to the HV power supply board.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I.E. Blank CRT Screen!!! It got bounced around in the back of a Toyota Truck running off of a portable generator for electricity supply? It kept blowing it's 2 Amp P.S. fuse so when I opened it up, I found the MOV on the incoming power line to be blown out but not fiercely, just split apart into two halves!

it has obviously received a nasty power spike from the generator
all DC/AC power lines from the PSU to the rest of the system will need to be checked
Getting a service manual for the unit will be close to essential.... tek manuals are good and usually have excellent fault finding flow charts to follow
Once all power rails have been repaired (where necessary) and are good and the unit still isn't working. Then chasing other damaged components
caused by the overvoltage can proceed. The most likely ones will be any processor and its assoc memory chips.
in the worse case scenario, it is possible that the onboard system ROM has been corrupted

there is a good and long established yahoo group Tekscope forum that I belong to. Am not at home at the moment to get a joining address for the group ...
I can post later
till then search other tek gear threads on this forum .... I have posted the addy several times before for other people

Dave