Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to wire tweeter to speaker

kourosh

Aug 13, 2014
Hello Everyone
I am trying to make an Audio system with Players, Preamps, Amplifier's, Speakers and tweeters.
since this post was about connecting tweeters to the speaker topic which is my question too, I am jumping in the middle of talk too.
and my old account got banned for distributing copyrighted stuff(music), (of course, as a computer programmer I am not going to be considered in copyright license's, anyway).
this is the situation I have :

| ----->4 ohms Speaker Left
20 WATT AMPLIFIER ----------------------- |
|------>4 ohms Speaker Right

so the four (8 ohms) tweeter has to be connected to the speaker's circuit somewhere and I read somewhere that I have to use 1.5 to 3.3 picofarad 250v capacitors as the filter in between speaker and tweeter so there's is two problem right now: first how to connect two 8 ohms, speaker to the one side of speaker considering capacitor's , my assumption is :
parallel resistors model:
|2.2 picofarad capacitor--->8 ohms tweeter 1
4 ohms Speaker Left ----------------|
|2.2picofarad capacitor---->8 ohms tweeter 2

and the same thing for the right side of the audio system.
is it a conventional model for connecting tweeters to the audio system?

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
I've moved this post to a new thread in the Audio forum, as the other thread was pretty old :).

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
The value of capacitor required depends on the crossover frequency you desire and the speaker(s) impedance.
Some values for both would be a good place to start. Are you intending to connect two in parallel or singly in separate units. It's not entirely clear from your post.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Please define what you mean by speaker.
You have a stereo system with one amplifier driving left and the other driving right.
The tweeters are normally connected to the amplifier through a capacitor. These will not be in the pf range, such values will be used for radio frequencies.

kourosh

Aug 13, 2014
these are the mid-range(i think) speaker, tweeters, and amp I going to use :

tweeters:
v2

mid range speakers:
v2

amp:
v2

the amp supports both left and right side so it's a single amp with 2 speakers, I want to attach two tweeters to each side, two for the right side and two for the left side.
speakers are 4Ω
tweeters are 8Ω
and I don't know exactly which filter 1.5 microfarads or 2.2 or 3.3 capacitors to use if you can help me with that too would be perfect.

by the way since I am trying to not to get your time more than this, I have a plan to add two pre amp's to this setup but the signal preamp accept's and how to connect it to amp is still a mystery for me so if you can explain about that a little bit I will be thankful.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Speakers or tweeters in series are bad so use a capacitor in series with each tweeter. Look at the datasheet of the tweeter to see its recommended crossover frequency. It is easy to calculate a crossover frequency, 2.2μF in series with 4 ohms is 18.2kHz which is much too high. Use 15μF for a crossover at 2.8kHz

The "speaker" or midrange will have a peak at about 5kHz or 6kHz so it needs an inductor in series with it to cut frequencies above 2.8kHz. Clculate its value yourself.

Attachments

• woofer high frequency peak.png
    woofer high frequency peak.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 118

kourosh

Aug 13, 2014
this is the tweeter datasheet :

v2

the datasheet say´s if there´s a midrange speaker with 16cm diameter and assumption it has working frequency range between 6.1 kHz to 34 kHz then when the tweeter added to circuit as a serie it will have working frequency range between 40 Hz to 40kHz in different volume level´s.
but there´s a height 100 db value in this datasheet between 8.85 kHz and 20kHz.

woofer-high-frequency-peak-png.42360

audio guru say´s there is two crossover , one for Midrange which has to be handled with an inductor .
but the fact that tweeter will be connected to midrange make a two parameter equation out of this problem.
i mean like this (if i am right)?

Inductor A + Midrange with(6kHz Working Frequency) = 2.8 kHz
Capacitor B + Tweeter+(Midrange + inductor A) = 2.8 kHz

now i have to Calculate Inductor A and Capacitor B?

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I talked about a two-way speaker system (woofer and tweeter) that does not have a midrange speaker. You are talking about a three-way speaker system that has a midrange speaker that needs an additional RC because you do not want the midrange to play bass and also not play high frequencies.

You do not understand that a midrange speaker plays a range of frequencies, not just the one frequency of 2.8kHz. The manufacturer of the midrange speaker will say the range and the recommended low and high crossover frequencies that might be 500Hz and 5kHz.

The graph you posted shows that the tweeter is 10dB more sensitive than the midrange so the tweeter should be attenuated. They match poorly because the midrange has its level increasing above 2kHz and the tweeter cannot go down lower than 5kHz. Many tweeters cannot go as low as 2kHz so a better midrange should be used.

Pioneer company's website does not list the TS-S350 so maybe it is made by a cheap Chinese copycat.

Of course you must calculate the capacitor values and the inductor values.