Maker Pro

How to tell whether a jack is mono or stereo on a scheme

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
i saw a pre amp scheme.. pls tell if it is stereo or mono

lpb1.gif

preamp.gif

and what is the difference between this two

and what kind of jack was used for output? is it mono??

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, both are mono. Although you could build two of them and then you could do stereo.

There is no output jack shown. You can use whatever you want.

The amplifiers are different in many respects as well.

The input jack shown in the top schematic is odd to say the least.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
My guess:
The input jack is used for a dual purpose:
- input an audio signal: tip=audio, ring=ground
- switch for power: only when a plug is inserted the -pole of the 9V batttery is connected to ground.

Thus the amplifier will draw current from the battery only if a plug is inserted. Looks reasonably clever to me.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
My guess:
The input jack is used for a dual purpose:
- input an audio signal: tip=audio, ring=ground
- switch for power: only when a plug is inserted the -pole of the 9V batttery is connected to ground.

Yep, that would be my guess as well...

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
what do you mean? is it a mono jack?

Steve already answered that in the first sentence of the first reply...

i know the first one i know it's a stereo cause it has 3 pin..

It's actually a switched mono input, not stereo... It's just a clever way of switching ground so you don't need an on/off switch...

** Edit here is the type of jack used in the first schematic, they are called "Isolated Make Circuit" jacks, they are used in audio all the time, like it effects peddles for guitars so that no separate on/off switch is needed, it's off until plugged in...

http://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/13_cd.pdf

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
what is that? can i just use a simple mono jack?

Read my post I told you what it was... Yes you can use a regular mono jack you will just need to short the ground or switch on/off by another means...

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Oops, the following helps you figure out if the socket is mono or stereo. Dir a plug, just look at it. Three connections = stereo, 2 = mono.

A mono plug plugged into a mono socket will have one connection of the socket connected to one connection of the plug, and another connection on the socket connected to the other connection of the plug. Any other connections on the socket are usually some form of switching, often opening when a plug is connected.

A mono plug connected to a stereo socket will have 2 connections on the socket connected to the tip of the plug, and another connected to the other connector of the plug. Again, any other connections are likely to be switch contacts.

A stereo plug in a mono socket will almost always have only two of the connections on the plug connected through to the socket. The ring will not be connected. If it is connected, it will be connected to the same connection as the tip. Again, there may be other switch contacts.

A stereo plug in a stereo socket will have three separate connections from the plug to the socket, with possibly some switch contacts.

markbool

Jul 5, 2012
This is a switched mono jack not stereo. Actually A switched mono jack, as a switch built into it that can be used to turn something on and off when the jack has something plugged into it.

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
can i just connect the mono jack without switching it like connecting the tip to where it should be and the sleeve to the ground?

if not then i really need a noob friendly guide on how to switch it.. sorry..

anyway, may i know the main differences between those two preamp??

which one is better??

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
wait now i know what you guys are talking about...

what i want to do now is to know how would i do this thing..

i now understand what you guys trying to say.. thanks alot.!!!

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
will it work if will connect the tip to the sleeve?? i dont know where to buy a mono jack with that kind of pinouts so what im trying to do now is to find another way hahaha lol

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Add the red connection...

Attachments

• gnd.jpg
    gnd.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 223

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
wait.. is that a mono jack with a 3 pin?? sorry for a very noob question..

i only have two pin mono jack the tip and sleeve only.. and i think the scheme used 3 pin although i get your point there im still a bit confused cause it has 3 connections

the one that goes to the battery to the cap and the last one to the ground