Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How To Make A Up And Down Mechanism Like A Grabbing Machine By A Single Push Button

April

Nov 23, 2016
Sorry for being vague, but new to electronics and this site, we are a new company for kids room escape and want to make a tiny machine ( size of a chocolate orange box, can be bigger or smaller) the concept of the game is we have a mini crane that will hang over the side of a box using a up and down mechanism with a chain ( much like the claw machines) but just up and down but want it triggered just by a push button if that is possible ( we are using a remote control toy car to push the button. the claw end ( doesn't need to open or even a claw ) will be magnetic to retrieve a key or something, if anyone could help would be greatfull tried looking online ( as i've made a few things from scratch and quite surprised myself) might be too adventurous for me but, god does love a trier lol

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Your right, it is a little vague!
What actual part do you want help with?
What mechanism is in place already or do you want help with the whole lift mechanism?
M.

April

Nov 23, 2016
All of it from start to finish. the idea is only in my head, just wondered if its possible for a novice to do, I am quite good with making things and following direction, just cant seem to find anything on the net.

Thanks for replying

April

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If you want a motorized hoist for the crane, then this will entail a small reversible DC motor driving the drum,
It might be a jump ahead if you can source out a suitable small crane that is already have the mechanical basics.
M.

April

Nov 23, 2016
got it! brilliant thanks, yer been trying to look for tiny cranes no luck

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Why don't you tell us what actually happens when the button is pressed?

Bob

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
we are a new company for kids room escape
What exactly does that mean? What is a "kids room escape" and what does that have to do with retrieving an object using a magnet at the end of a crane? BTW, most keys are made of brass or aluminum and will NOT be attracted to a magnet. Please tell us what you are trying to DO.

SparkyVT

Aug 9, 2017
You could always use a linear actuator, go for a small DC motor driven one, is it supposed to drop the key after it picks it up though? If it is you're going to have to use an electromagnet and have that tied in so it activates on the reversal. On the other hand you could have it inside the box and when the button is pushed it raises it up, eliminating the need for the magnet all together.

SparkyVT

Aug 9, 2017
On a side note, if you are set on the little crane idea, you can always make one, small reversing DC Motors can be scavenged from all sorts of devices, like the toy remote control cars you are talking about using. You would they just be stuck modifying a toy crane. A quick google search for remote control toy crane returned at least a dozen results. Modifying the the remote and the crane controls wouldn't be that difficult. By the chocolate orange box are you talking about the little 2.5" cube? That size maybe your limiting factor.

Last edited: