Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to drive an H Bridge using AOP605

sumeryamaner

May 29, 2017
I am planning a bidirectional motor driver using the AOP605 IC (two complementary P/N channel MOSFETs). I will drive a motor drawing about 300 mA (1.5A when stalled). I will use current sensing to sense the endpoint of the mechanical system (stall of the motor).
The system will be controlled by an Attiny85 (or by an ATMega328 for two channel application).
The first step of this project has been realised using two relays per channel instead of the MOSFETs. In this second step I am planning to replace the relays with MOSFETs.
Simplicity is my No:1 priority. There will be no PWM. The motor will be driven directly until it stalls. So the gate capacitance etc. is not a problem in this setting.
This is the schematic of the H Bridge:

605.jpg
I have omitted the flyback diodes for clarity. They are already integrated in the AOP605.
As the datasheet of the AOP605 states, the ON resistance of the P channel MOSFET at a VGS of -4.5V is less than 58 mohm. The ON resistance of the N channel MOSFET at a VGS of 4.5V is less than 43 mohm. This data suggests that these MOSFETs can be used as "logic level MOSFETs" as the working current is relatively low. As the MOSFET side will have a higher supply voltage (about 9 V) the high side P channel MOSFET will have a VGS of more than -4.5V (actually about minus 8 - 8.5 V). So I think the H Bridge should work without any problems.

My question is about the driving circuit. Can I omit the two 2N2222 transistors and drive the gates directly from the microcontroller (maybe using a series resistor)?
In this case I will also omit the two 10k resistors connected to the collectors of the transistors.
Theoretically, 5V for the N channel MOSFET is enough to turn it on with an RDSon of 43 mohm. 0 V from the microcontroller output will lead to a VGS of -9V for the P channel MOSFET and this will turn it ON adequately.

Am I right?

Thank you very much in advance...

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hello. Without the BJT then the top FET (P) will have 5 volts on the gate when the micro's output is high. You have a 9 volt supply so the gate will be 4 volts lower than the source. What's going to happen to the FET (P) when this happens?

Thanks
Adam

sumeryamaner

May 29, 2017
I am trying to design a single sided PCB for my project. Space is limited on the board and as I will use toner transfer method for the PCB the traces cannot be too thin. So I have to tie the emitter of the 2N2222 to the source of the corresponding N MOSFET instead of directly to ground. Would this lead to problems?

AOP605 2.jpg

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
The current drawn by the BJTs will be very tiny so thin traces are fine. I wouldn't do what you have done in the diagram above. I don't see the problem in tying them to ground instead of the sources of the FET why do you thing this will be an issue? Have you started the PCB layout yet?
Adam

sumeryamaner

May 29, 2017
I have already completed the PCB layout and connected the emitter of the 2N222 directly to ground. Thank you very much.