Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to determine voltage on transformer

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
I have what I think is a transformer and I've got mains voltage going in at the top of the image and I'm trying to measure the voltage that I get from the bottom of the image with a DMM set to 500 V AC. The top resistor is 33K and the bottom resistor is 20R. When I apply mains voltage to this circuit I get a reading of 0 V on the DMM but I'm expecting some value much higher than 0 V. Have I set it up wrong? Is this thing not a transformer?

IyAy4qU.jpg

[Mod Note -- image resized]

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have what I think is a transformer and I've got mains voltage going in at the top of the image and I'm trying to measure the voltage that I get from the bottom of the image with a DMM set to 500 V AC. The top resistor is 33K and the bottom resistor is 20R. When I apply mains voltage to this circuit I get a reading of 0 V on the DMM but I'm expecting some value much higher than 0 V. Have I set it up wrong? Is this thing not a transformer?

1) what is wrong is that this isn't a mains power transformer ... it isn't even a transformer
it's a dual filter inductor that usually will have a couple of high voltage capacitors associated with it

if it wasn't for your resistors ... you would have had a big bang, a cloud of smoke and a shower of sparks

Better smps-schematic.JPG

2) .... on another note .... can you please resize images before uploading or linking to them
this one was huge ... I have resized it to a max of 1000 pixels on the longest side