Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to connect a windshield wiper motor to a battery

bobdxcool

Mar 9, 2012
I bought a 12 volts wiper motor (lucas-tvs.com/pdf/2sw60.pdf) and am trying to connect it to a 12 volts DC 4.2 amps power supply. There are 4 terminals on the motor. I'm confused regarding which terminals that I should connect the positive and negative ends of the power supply to. When I connect the positive and negative wires from the supply to the two leads on top side of motor terminal (circled in red in the first picture), the motor turns very slowly and I can observe the power supply LED flashing which indicates a voltage drop. Can anyone please help me with the connections ?
IMG_20170227_200058.jpg IMG_20170227_200116-min.jpg

The video of the motor turning slowly and voltage dropping can be found here,

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The light blinking probably indicates that the power supply is in current limiting mode.

If it is adjustable, turn the current limit all the way up.

Bob

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A wiper motor could have three carbon brushes. The wires to the two brushes which are opposite each other should be used for the supply. If there is a third brush, this should be used together with the other brush which is furthest away. If you use the two adjacent brushes, then you will get low torque and the motor may not have enough torque to get up to speed.

Changing the polarity of the supply will change motor direction.

Last edited: