Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How takeover of the control done in standby redundant system?

Dinesh Dangi

May 10, 2018
I am making a redundant actuator system in which I have two PCB with the same circuit for controlling the dual-winding motor(rotor is one but windings are double so one can be connected to one PCB electronics and other with the second PCB). In first 1st PCB will control the motor when any fault will happen all control will go to the other PCB. Hear my question is

1. how this takeover of the control will be done?

2. who will decide the control change, do I need the third processor for this?

3. how will I isolate my 1st PCB from the motor when the changeover will be done?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
How will you know when a PCB develops a fault and which PCB is faulty?

Dinesh Dangi

May 10, 2018
How will you know when a PCB develops a fault and which PCB is faulty?
one fault can be short circuit in winding so that current sensor I will use and according to current we can find the fault. for more faults in PCB I'm still working on that.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
The trick will be to identify all possible faults that you think could occur. Even then, Murphy's Law dictates that you will miss at least one :).

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
You do realize that with dual windings, you've turned your rotor into a transformer, right? Assuming you have the same number of windings for each PCB, voltage from one PCB will induce approximately the same voltage on the other PCB. Assuming You're using DC Voltage, it still induces induces an initial and final voltage every time the motor is turned on and off, plus any fluctuations in voltage if the motor meets different load conditions. Wonder how that will affect your sensing device(s)?