Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How do I change the number my alarm system dials?

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Drat!! Again.

It does sound like ADT has locked you out of the dialer section of your programming.

At this point, the only ways to get your system to call your cell phone is
(1) Replace your control panel, which would involve programming the new panel completely from scratch. Unfortunately there's no flash memory card for alarm panels yet to transfer programmed settings to a new control panel. Not to mention that you'd have to have a 6139 or 6160 keypad to do the full menu-driven programming on your panel. Look at the *56 zone programming section in your installation & programming manual and you'll see what I mean: You have to be able to see the prompt and feedback displays to program there.

(2) Buy a stand-alone dialer and trigger it from the siren output of your control. I thought this might be the way to go, but after a quick look at the prices on the cheapest voice dialers, you might as well get a new panel and have control of your own equipment.

If you go with a stand-along dialer, Visonic is a reputable brand name I've had good luck with, although I haven't worked with any stand-alone dialer in years. On the other hand, if you want to get a new Ademco Vista mother board and keypad, there's a lot of perfectly good used equipment available for about the same price as the dialer.

Sorry I don't have better news for you. If you do want to spend the money and time to go ahead and do this, let me know and I'll try to help you find the equipment you need at the best prices.

Last edited:

indnsmr

Dec 29, 2011
Brian, I'm sending you a PM so I don't post a widely-used Installer code on a public forum. Installer Code = IC, okay?

Once you get the IC from your mailbox, go to the keypad and:
(1) Enter IC + 8 + 00. If the IC was valid, your display will read "20". You are now in Panel Programming. Ignore other indications on the keypad telemetry: They aren't the same in Panel Programming as in Normal Run Mode. You are only concerned with the 2-character display.

DON'T EXPERIMENT!! Don't make any entries except what I tell you. This is Panel Programming and "seeing what will happen if I do this" can make Bad Things Happen.

(2A)If you see "20" displayed, the ONLY thing you want to enter on the keypad after that is *99. That's Star-Nine-Nine! Enter it deliberately and carefully and don't maching-gun it on the keypad. That data field, unfortunately, is entirely too close to other data fields that could mess you up. Just hit *99, and you will exit programming to Normal Run mode.

(2B) If you enter IC + 8 + 00 and don't get the "20", then the number I'm about to PM you is not what's programmed for the IC. In that case, I'll have to direct you how to find your Installer Code before we can get to the dial-out number.

Post back and let me know if it worked.

EDIT:BTW, for future reference: The biggest difference between the Vista-15 and the Vista-20 is the number of zones. The 15 has 6 on-board hardwire zones and the 20 has 8 on-board HW zones. In the Vista-20P panel, 7 of the 8 on-board zones can use a "zone-doubling" feature to give a total of 15 on-board HW zones, although I don't know if ADT ever used that feature.
As far as I know, ADT never installed the Vista-15 or Vista-10, so I think you have a Vista-20P panel--which I consider the premier panel on the market for home alarm systems--especially for Do-It-Yourselfers.
Hi ChosunOne

Newbie here (expatriate in Australia)

Owner of a vista 20p need to delete or change cellphone access details through programming. Wish there was a way to terminate to multiple calls (8 ringouts per phone listed (2)). Is there a kissoff code ?? more importantly can i program it.

Saw one of your earlier blogs, very precise in keypad speak.... can you help?

have a program manual

Double C

Nov 28, 2012
I have a Vista 20 system and a touch screen keypad. Installed on 2005. I would like to change the number that the system dials to my cell phone instead of a monitoring service. I cannot figure out how to get into program mode from my touch screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rutwad

Mar 9, 2017
I want to program my dad's Vista 10P / Vista 10PSI to call me instead of paying monthly fees. Plus I live next door so it will be better anyway. Could someone please advise. TIA

rutwad

Mar 9, 2017
Well, I figured out how to program it to call my cell number. But it called back 2 times after deactivating the alarm. Is there some code I enter on my phone when it calls to basically acknowledge it so it doesn't call again?

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
No, professional-grade alarm panels are not designed to recognize signals from phones, either cell or landline. The pager-dialing feature is strictly one-way communication. Which is probably why it makes redundant calls.

rutwad

Mar 9, 2017
No, professional-grade alarm panels are not designed to recognize signals from phones, either cell or landline. The pager-dialing feature is strictly one-way communication. Which is probably why it makes redundant calls.
Ok, Thanks! I can handle multiple calls.