Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How Can I Bypass This Timer?

ryevick

Mar 7, 2017
I am a truck driver and occasionally (like last night), my bunk heater fails to work and the temperature drops below freezing (23° last night). I bought this dc electric blanket a while back for just such an occasion. The hugely annoying problem though is, it shuts off every 30-45 minutes due to it's built in comfort timer... and I'm waking up like a popsicle every hour. I need to get rid of that, ASAP! My first frozen instinct is just cut the timer out of the cord but could that just deregulate any temperature control or ceiling causing it to just get hotter and hotter? Or would the cigarette lighter plug-in keep it from doing that and also prevent me from blowing a fuse? Help! Thanks :)

915CF3rQoTL._SL1500_.jpg

sundy

Aug 5, 2016
I take no responsibility for what happens if you take my suggestion.

Test it well before you go sleep, you don't want to die in a fire.

It appears that there is only 2 wires to the blanket from the controller. Measure the voltage going to the blanket from the controller, if it is 12 volts you can eliminate the controller. You will probably wake up from being too hot, I am guessing the controller turns the power to the blanket on and off to regulate the heat.

ryevick

Mar 7, 2017
I take no responsibility for what happens if you take my suggestion.

Test it well before you go sleep, you don't want to die in a fire.

It appears that there is only 2 wires to the blanket from the controller. Measure the voltage going to the blanket from the controller, if it is 12 volts you can eliminate the controller. You will probably wake up from being too hot, I am guessing the controller turns the power to the blanket on and off to regulate the heat.

Yes, I should have stated I assume all responsibility for what I am doing.

I guess there would be a way to check the voltage going to the blanket from the controller inside the controller itself. I have not attempted to open the controller yet. Unfortunately I am about 2000 miles from home and don't have my meter with me. I'll probably buy a cheap one to check it with.

When it is on the temp level is perfect, so if the controller only acts as a gate and not a regulator I don't think it will be too hot.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
You need a heater or heating blanket that has temperature regulation.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Just make sure that your batteries are fully charged and in good condition before leaving it on all night.
Last thing you need is trouble starting the engine on a cold morning because the blanket has taken the edge off the batteries.

Hopefully the diesel heater doesn't break down very often.