Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hopefully this goes here...

RobTBHowdle

Aug 31, 2011
Hello everyone!

So here is the first development idea for my R2 on this forum. As previously warned in my introduction post, this ideas may seem far fetched, not possible or simply pointless.

I'm still a bit unsure about how I'm going to do this so this is all theoretical at the moment obviously. In the movies R2 has the ability to play the holograms either recorded messages or live transmissions which is awesome. Now some of the builders have twigged on and been able to put a projector into R2's holoprojectors and cleverly displayed the Princess Leia hologram simply by doing a projection, obviously it's not 3D or anything but still very cool.

I want to go one further. Some of this idea has already been done but not in the way I want to do it. So R2's front eye, the blue thing with the black lens. Imagine there was a webcam behind that that gave you the ability to see what R2 sees? Pretty cool? It's been done, not by many but it's already been done. The projector to play videos? It's been done. What I want to do is as followed:

Live Video Calls through R2 and projected from the droid itself.

So behind the front radar eye is the webcam okay? You'd stand in front of it and it films you as a webcam does. It goes into a board that has a form of bluetooth connectivity to it perhaps and I can have a microphone hidden on R2 somewhere to capture audio. The bluetooth board can connect to my phone which will do all of the video calling which in turn sends the signal back to the board where the the return video is shown through R2's rear projectors so as I stand infront of him being filmed, I look behind him to see the other person on the call being projected onto the wall and the sound output simply comes from R2's speakers that has all of his sounds.

Hope you still with me here... So if you think of it this way, if I can get a hold of an app for my phone that will allow me to wirelessly use another camera and microphone and then display the video call from another screen then im halfway there I think. It's similar to when you can display your video from youtube to your TV from your phone your phone is still doing all of the work and you're just watching it on a bigger screen but I suppose this could be more like doing a Remote Desktop from your phone to your computer, watching a youtube video and then still within the Remote Desktop display what you're watching to your TV, very long winded when you think of it that way but very cool none the less.

The hardest thing I think would be finding the right app? I'm sure the easy ones like Skype, FaceTime, Zoom etc wouldn't allow this but I've never actually checked.

Long story short the phone is doing all the work of making the call happen but it's using a wireless external webcam, microphone and projector as a screen.

Would love to hear everyones thoughts on this.

Thanks
Rob

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
It's similar to when you can display your video from youtube to your TV from your phone your phone is still doing all of the work and you're just watching it on a bigger screen
I thought that all the 'swipe' did was send the link (i.e. web address of the scene you phone was displaying) to the TV and the TV displayed whatever the link linked to - via its own internet connection.

Doing a webcam receive and video display through the same lens is easy to achieve using a prism or other form of image splitter device (half-silvered mirror surfaces).

RobTBHowdle

Aug 31, 2011
Yeah it needs to be a smart TV for it to work, forgot about that and well the only thing was, I'd need to be facing the droid for the webcam to see my face to if it was to project out of the same lens it would project onto me, that would be fine if it was an actual hologram but since it's not then I wouldn't actually see the other person which is why I thought the rear projector would be an idea, unless I have completely miss understood what you meant haha

Rob

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If a camera lens can see 'you' stood on one side of a room and another object on the other side of the room (at the same time) then you can 'project' to one side of a room whilst videoing the other.

As mentioned, a CCD to pick up an image along with a small projector arranged in front of half silvered mirrors will redirect the output through a single lens.