Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Honeywell 5800 help please

Joezeera

Jul 14, 2017
I have a Honeywell 5800 panel and a D5200 Radionics programmer and cannot find an access number for the Irvine handler update.
Can anyone help??

Attachments

• IMG_0049.PNG
    IMG_0049.PNG
    133.2 KB · Views: 126

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Joe, I had to search a bit to find out what you're talking about. My first knee-jerk reaction was "There's no such thing as a Honeywell 5800 Control Panel, but, low and behold, when I searched I found it.
https://www.obsoleteradionics.com/honeywell-5800-control-panel.html
And discovered it's actually a re-branded Radionics panel, apparently with Honeywell's own arbitrary nomenclature, but I can't make out enough detail to tell the actual Radionics model number. It looks like one of the obsolete models, perhaps a D8112, or D7112, which would be about the same era as the D5200 programmer.

I worked for Honeywell back when they used Radionics panels, but this is the first I've seen of them re-branding one. I wonder if they bought and held Radionics before Bosch bought it later on...?

To add to the confusion, that would have been in the mid-late-90's, just before Honeywell bought out Ademco, who had already started its 5800-series RF (aka wireless) line of peripheral RF receiver and sensor/transmitters (no control panels by that number) and Honeywell wisely kept the Ademco model numbers because of their industry-wide name recognition. Like most old-school alarm techs, I still think of contemporary Honeywell panels as "Honeywell/Ademco"--Honeywell bought the company, but Ademco was/is the manufacturer with its long-standing reputation for supporting old equipment years after it was discontinued. Radionics did not have that reputation,

I haven't worked with Radionics in over 20 years, and even then updating the handler on the programmers was above my pay grade. That only became critical, I believe, after 1992 when individual programmers were ID'd to be linked to specific dealers, to be able to lock out other dealers from taking over a control panel. Again, I'm inferring a lot from what I do know. I was working for a Radionics dealer when they initiated that "upgrade"--it was the "Rev G" chip for the D8112 panel in mid-1992. It caused the dealers to guard their programmers even closer, because each programmer held its dealer's "customer base"--I was told in no uncertain terms that if I "lost" my programmer, I'd have to testify under oath in court to that effect.

After I stopped working for a company that used Radionics, sometime in the mid-90's (when the D5200 was in use), I stopped working with Radionics altogether because only dealers could (legally) own programmers in those days. Radionics wasn't just DIY-resistant, it was downright DIY-HOSTILE.

I wish you luck because Radionics (now Bosch) didn't have a good track record for continuing support on its obsolete equipment. But as I said, I wasn't part of the handler updating, so maybe I'm just pessimistic. And it's possible that it's much easier to crack through the dealer lockout software these days.

You may have better luck at this site...
http://www.shieldlab.com/forum/index.php?action=forum
...where techs more familiar with contemporary Bosch/Radionics probably know a lot more about it than I do.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

The sort of reply/content of your post is most welcome indeed - regardless of its potential usefulness! It is refreshing to read content from someone who has such knowledge and experience and is prepared to take the time to detail it as you have. <thumbs up>