Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Home stereo compatible with 12v campervan?

Campervan Numpty

Nov 3, 2016
Thanks, Bob!
So - just the same potential for possible voltage overload as my vehicle batteries then.

Still left guessing whether Phillips have that sort of margin built in on this 12v equipment...

Campervan Numpty

Nov 3, 2016
That's only a minor issue and easy to sort out. a proper car stereo would have been the best way to go
I looked into line out converters for headphones - but it looked complex and potentially expensive for someone with very basic electronics knowledge.
There also seemed to be a problem with the speakers not being shut off when the headphones were plugged in - which isn't good.

Campervan Numpty

Nov 3, 2016
The Outcome!
I contacted Philips who forwarded my enquiry to the technical dept.
I didn't want to frighten them by mentioning a vehicle 12v system - I just wanted to know if the unit could handle 14v - so I asked them if I could power using a rechargeable battery back (also 14v+ charged).

Surprisingly, they said, "no problem"!

I've been using it connected to my campervan's 2 100 a/h leisure batteries now for several weeks with no ill effects.

As for the 'voltage dumping' I was cautioned about on this forum - I'm going to hope that feature has been ironed out of modern vehicle systems; I can't imagine the complex electronics in modern vehicles being blasted with 30volts + surges and surviving, can you?