Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hilti tools service lights

A1carparts

Aug 26, 2014
Hi. Wonder if anyone can offer advice on Hilti tools

I am in a position where I can buy a large quantity of Hilti demolition breakers and heavy duty drills. The problem I have is some of the tools have gone into service mode so will not work. From what I have read on the internet Hilti have designed their tools to work for a certain amount of hours then they shut down and a service light comes on. They then need to go back to Hilti to have this reset.

Some people have said that the tool is reset with a fibre optic tool / light.

I was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with these tools or would know of a way of turning the lights out. As Hilti are charging a fortune to add oil some grease and maybe new brushes

The unit that has the service light is quite small and sealed so I can't see the circuit board at all. But even if I could I really am not into electrics.

The machines are TE905 TE1000 TE500 plus others

Any help or advice appreciated

Alan

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
We're not ignoring your question. We're just waiting to see if somebody knows for certain about your issue.
I can only speculate. My speculation is that the manufacturer disables the tools solely because it's time for them to be oiled and service-checked.
Whether that's done on a long-duration timing circuit, heat sensor, or some other method: that' be my guess. But it's only a guess.
Maybe somebody will answer your question with a definitive answer about Hilti tools.
I don't think many of us want to speculate about disabling your reset circuit, until we have a better idea of what tripped it.

A1carparts

Aug 26, 2014
Hi, thanks for the reply. I can understand if the machine detected a low oil or something like that but they don't. From what I have read they are set to shut down after 200 or 250 hours. Could you imagine if car manufacturers turned your car off at 12k and only they had the means to start you back up. To service the working part of the tool is what any normal plant fitter is trained to do. Simple grease maybe new brushes. But being forced to pay Hilti is in my opinion very underhand.

The actual circuit board has been sealed in a plastic pack. The only part that is accessible is the red service light. From what I have been told they then push a device against the light and that flashes and resets service light. Does this sound feasible? Could it just be a simple light flash? It has no diagnostic ports like a car to plug a machine into. I could wire direct from the switch to the motor but have been told the PCB also has a soft start so the tool does not start at full power

Alan

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Your speculation sounds pretty close to me. EXCEPT, it would be pointless to build this shut-down circuit and integrate it into to those tools if it could be easily over-ridden.
That 'flashing light', is bound to be a coded signal; not just a bright flash. You'd need their coded signal to reset.
I know you don't want to hear this, but I think you should pass-up this opportunity.
The manufacturer would also make it difficult to simply cut-out their fail-safe device. Doing so will probably trip another disable mechanism to prevent activation of the tool.
It's your choice, but that's my input.
You mentioned cars, so I'll add my own story:
I've (still) got a 1987 Dodge van. One of the 'check engine' lights came on years ago. The thing was running fine, but I took it to the dealer to check it anyway in case there was some problem.
They 'serviced' the vehicle for $327. I got the van back and the next day the light came back on. I called the dealer and raised holy hell. The service rep was busy, so he just gave
me the scoop for me to resolve the problem. There's a little black box on the steering column just under the dashboard. Inside of this little black plastic box, is a 9V battery.
That battery box is connected to the 'check engine' light through a 3-year long-duration LM555 timer. When the 9V battery gets low, it trips the circuit to activate the 'check engine' light.
It's there because the manufacturer thinks that the van should be checked at least once every three years. Can you believe it?
I don't know what causes the trip that needs to be reset in your Hilti's. I just figure it's going to be deliberately difficult for you to over-ride it.
Good luck whichever way you go with this.

Mickymon

Sep 11, 2016
Hi. Wonder if anyone can offer advice on Hilti tools

I am in a position where I can buy a large quantity of Hilti demolition breakers and heavy duty drills. The problem I have is some of the tools have gone into service mode so will not work. From what I have read on the internet Hilti have designed their tools to work for a certain amount of hours then they shut down and a service light comes on. They then need to go back to Hilti to have this reset.

Some people have said that the tool is reset with a fibre optic tool / light.

I was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with these tools or would know of a way of turning the lights out. As Hilti are charging a fortune to add oil some grease and maybe new brushes

The unit that has the service light is quite small and sealed so I can't see the circuit board at all. But even if I could I really am not into electrics.

The machines are TE905 TE1000 TE500 plus others

Any help or advice appreciated

Alan
Hi
I have a hilti breaker that had a service light on. I sent it back to them in Dublin after exploring all the options to avoid their 371 euro credit card up front charge. Anyway they sent it to their repair Base in Scotland got the return address wrong .lost it for a while and eventually got it bac k
Point is ill never buy a new hilti again simply because they don't tell you about this light and the cost of getting it sorted so take my advice and stay clear of hilti s with a service light

KTW

Feb 22, 2015
Check youtube.
The routine service can be bypassed or rebooted using a laser.