Maker Pro
Maker Pro

high speed solenoid switching

Glock

Apr 25, 2011
hey guys im new to this site and not really an electronics fundi but would really appreciate your help in this regard.

i need to build an electronic circuit which can switch a solenoid pump on and off repeatedly really fast to create the pumping force required.The solenoid operates on 12-14 volts dc and requires 11 amps operational current.In case you guys are wondering what im using it for,its for an aquamist pump on my car as i cannot get a replacement circuit board for it which was damaged by corrosion.Nobody around even has an idea how to build a replacement circuit.

thanks guys

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I'd figure it works like the electronic plunger fuel pumps. It's a very simple 1-transistor circuit but relies on a second coil in the solenoid for feedback/oscillation.
A driver without this would require employing a fixed-frequency (although tunable) with tunable on & off times (duty cycle).
A couple of 555's and a power transistor might do the job.

Glock

Apr 25, 2011
I'd figure it works like the electronic plunger fuel pumps. It's a very simple 1-transistor circuit but relies on a second coil in the solenoid for feedback/oscillation.
A driver without this would require employing a fixed-frequency (although tunable) with tunable on & off times (duty cycle).
A couple of 555's and a power transistor might do the job.

hey resqueline thanks for the advise but do you think you could come up with a circuit diagram with component values.My knowledge in electronics is somewhat limited but if i have the circuit diagram then the rest is pretty much simple.Im a high voltage technician so i have just the basic understanding for electronics.

if you can come up with a circuit diagram and require my e-mail address then ill be glad to give it to you.Thanks once again

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Circuit #17 here shows one way of making PWM independent of frequency.
The attached picture shows another, simpler way. Use a BUZ11 or an IRFZ44 to drive the solenoid (connected between + & midpoint).

Attachments

• 555 rate dwell.gif
    555 rate dwell.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 4,018

Glock

Apr 25, 2011
THANKS RESQUELINE....

IM GOING TO WORK ON THIS AND IF IM HAVING ANY PROBLEMS IM GOING TO GET BACK TO YOU..

TAKE CARE