Maker Pro
Maker Pro

High speed flash

Jehu

Jul 31, 2009
I'm trying to figure out how to construct a flash with an extremely short duration.

We've had some success with turning Nikon speedlights down to 1/128 power. This produces about a 1/40,000 second duration. That's pretty good for a lot of things. I built an audio trigger that seems to work consistantly. We've managed to do some pretty neat stuff with that. I can't post the link because I'm a newbie. Some of our results are posted on flickr under the username of "liquid in plastic". That's Dan.

The way I've got it figured, If 7 Nikon speedlights at 1/128 power is enough to produce the results we've been getting, we should be able to modify disposable camera flashes to do the same thing. I think we'd need 14 at 1/256 power to produce 1/80,000 second duration and so on. I have access to as many disposables as I want. If I can come up with an easy modification then I'm willing to assemble 20 or 30 of these to mount in reflectors.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I guess replacing the electrolytic flash capacitor with smaller plastic capacitors will produce shorter (but of course also weaker) flashes. If the lytic is 47uF then you might want a 0.18uF (+/-) plastic instead.
The "pro" flashes that can give multiple rapid weak flashes or turn off the flash when enough light has been produced - have to use an IGBT in series with the flash tube to turn it off.
Ordinary cheap flashes dumps all the available (cap) energy into the tube in one go.