Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hey, are you in Brizzie?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you're a banana bender (or live amongst them) and your calender isn't choc a block on wed 3/5 in the late arvo, come and have a coldie with me!

I'll be staying near the state library and I have one night free.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Yeah, but I don't always understand Aussie-speak.
Duh. I thought 'Brizzie' was Brazil?
Where in the US do bananas abound? Hawaii maybe, but I didn't think so(?).

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Brizzie, Brisvagas, Brisneyland, capital of the sunshine state, beautiful one day perfect the next.

Home of yorkies knob, bald knob, humpybong, little ugly creek, wonglepong, pimpinbudgie, Dickie beach, broken nose, pimple, deception bay, dismal swamp, and mount breast.

The origin of such political luminaries as Joh Bjelke-Petersen, Pauline Hanson, and Bob Katter.

The starting place of political movements great and small, like Joh for PM and the ALP.

Home to a town that gets 315 inches of rain each year and another that only gets 10 inches.

The place that put the Q into Qantas, and where Qantas put 4 in.

The only place i'm aware of in the world where members of a house of Parliament voted to eliminate themselves.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
English translations of Australian slang used in the original post:
Brizzie - Brisbane
banana bender - Queensland resident
chock-a-block - crammed full of people or things
arvo - afternoon
coldie - beer

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
... makes me realize why my colonist forefathers abandoned King and country for the hinterlands.
(Thanks for the translation KJ6EAD. *steve* loves riddles, and would've left me hanging. ...I'd still be guessing right now if left to my own devices)

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Given how our establishment are screwing over the people here you're lucky to be well out of it - same goes for Aussies (even though you have your own issues).

Life in the UK is a travesty of what it once was.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
I have pondered the Australian penchant for slang and extreme abbreviation and concluded that it's probably a byproduct of inmate culture where the prisoners are always talking in made up codes to confound the guards. :p

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
G'day Steve, proud kiwi here(one eyed Cantab to be exact).
I'm a bit worried that I understood your posts. Too many holidays on your side of the ditch.

The banana benders aren't the only Aussies with weird place names. The cockroaches have a place called Rooty Hill. Spent a week at the RSL on a training course a few years ago.