Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with search

Optik

Mar 10, 2011
Hello,
I'm new here and having problems with searches returning with "no results". I'm searching for problems with Sony DVD Players. DVD players without quotes gets the dvd term thrown out for 3 letters or 'too common' Same with the dvp line of sony dvd players. Then I run into the search limiter, because I'm trying to find something that it will accept. Very frustrating.

What I hope to find is any previous post's related to a Sony DVP-NS700P dvd player, including the archives.

Please advise.

Thank you!

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
If it is not coming up with any previous posts there may be no posts relating to that specific player. Try searching for "DVD player problems" or something a little less specific than "Sony DVP-NS700P dvd player"

Or you could give us an idea of the fault/problem and we could try to help you?

Optik

Mar 10, 2011
If it is not coming up with any previous posts there may be no posts relating to that specific player. Try searching for "DVD player problems" or something a little less specific than "Sony DVP-NS700P dvd player"

Or you could give us an idea of the fault/problem and we could try to help you?

I did search for more generic terms in hopes of catching more hits. I thought with the extensive info in the archives, I might get more hits. A search for Sony DVD Player Problems, with no quotes, in all open forums, only returned 6 hits!! The search engine said "the following words are either very common, too long or too short and were not included in your search: dvd".

Putting the same terms above in quotes, resulted in the same 6 hits, along with the search term DVD still being thrown out. So how do I search for dvd, player, problems when dvd is always thrown out as too common or too short? Please advise.

I did another search in the newsgroups section, hoping for some archive hits. No joy. DVD is still thrown out.

What do I do now?

As to the problem I'm having with this player, please see my post in electronic repair. Thank you for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Hi Optik,

The search engine functionality built in to the forums isn't ideal - so it can't search for words undernearth a certain character limit (i.e. something short like DVD).

On the search dropdown, there should be a white box with "Google Custom Search" written in it - this uses Google to search the forums and is much more powerful:

https://www.electronicspoint.com/go...+player&siteurl=www.electronicspoint.com/#747

However, the only 3 entries are all relating to your own posts ;). However, you can alter the search terms to see if anything else pops up.

Optik

Mar 10, 2011
Thank you for replying! I'd actually been using google to search your site, which helped with more hits. It's rather frustrating when short words (dvd, vcr, tv, dvp, etc.) get tossed out.

Any suggestions for searching the archives? There is 60+ pages there, 30,000+ posts, if I remember correctly?

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
With google there's no way to restrict the search to specific sections, although you could just keep tweaking the search parameters to see if you can narrow the results down. :)

Optik

Mar 10, 2011
The search engine functionality built in to the forums isn't ideal - so it can't search for words undernearth a certain character limit (i.e. something short like DVD).

On the search dropdown, there should be a white box with "Google Custom Search" written in it - this uses Google to search the forums and is much more powerful:

OK, thanks. That worked. Found several hits in the archives.

Last edited by a moderator: