Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help wiring blower to signal generator!

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
I believe mechanical vs electrical is based on the blower model. This one is electrical.

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
Well, with the blue (low supposedly) connected to "OV" and red (high supposedly) connected to "0-10V" the blower actually does slow down from 10V down to about just under 7V. After that it just turns off... bad blower electronics? bad signal generator? I'm baffled.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Do you get full control between the 7v and 10v?
This could be the difference between using variable DC on this input instead of PWM?
If you get the speed range you want, you may have to live with it.
M.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir edennis . . . . .

One oddity there, is the presence of . . . . almost . . . .full voltage, (9.08) with the control pot being at only half position . What is the voltage swing, when you vary the pot between its extreme limits ?

Got the on off switch now, seems like it is an option . . . with it being a DPDT switch . . .to switch both power legs, and that you have to cut open internal PCB foil links IF you have it installed.

73's de Edd

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
No I am not getting full control. It goes from very high (likely top speed) at 10V to just a bit slower at 7V. It wont slow down from there, just turns off.

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
Sir edennis . . . . .

One oddity there, is the presence of . . . . almost . . . .full voltage, (9.08) with the control pot being at only half position . What is the voltage swing, when you vary the pot between its extreme limits ?

Got the on off switch now, seems like it is an option . . . with it being a DPDT switch . . .to switch both power legs, and that you have to cut open internal PCB foil links IF you have it installed.

73's de Edd

I am able to turn the knob 5 or 6 times full rotation to go from 0-10V, so its not actually at half way. It just looks like it.
I'm not sure what you mean in the second part of your post about internal PCB foil links. I just don't know all the terminology, etc.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir edennis . . . . .

Looks like I'm now answering myself on the pots knob position . . .in my expecting a conventional 270 degree rotation
Not so . . .in this case . . . in its using a 10 turn helipot, so it changes and passes thru many mid positions.

Looks like they were set up for bottom / in case battery installation also.

Still need to know the full voltage swing output and if its current speed range seems to fulfill your needs . . as per MINDER.

Seems like 50% speed on up to max would be what is needed, with nothing lower.
If that does prove to be true, it is possible to alter that present dead area on either end of the adjustment of the pot.
Then. . . . it would have the pot starting at the slowest speed and using the full 10 turns to then ramp progressively on up to the full top speed.

Looking at the PCB proper . . .at least 90% of the degree of complexity being seen is related to metering.
That leaves the area in the immediate area of the BLUE pot and the upper U9 and Q2 quadrant for the principal variable voltage and 20 ma current loop aspects.

The solo U8 3 term regulator in the top right corner, and no FWB or adjunct filterings, relate to only accomodating a filtered DC power input.

Thasssssssit . . . . .

THE PCB's " BID'NESS " SIDE . . . .
( Aside . . . I 'jes HATES flat black conformal coating on a BLACK PCB! )

WfIYzCv.jpg

73's de Edd

Last edited:

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
The voltage output from the sig-gen should be 0-10 DCV. The blower functions between 7-10V and turns off below that. This does NOT fulfill my needs as I need this blower to have the capability to be dimmed down quite far to run an iron smelting furnace as well as crank all the way up.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
You could also elicit some advice from customer service, I have usually found most manuf such as these offer helpful advice.
[email protected]
Quote the model No and what you are trying to do.
M.

edennis

Jun 12, 2018
I've tried Ametek customer service. They are helpful, but since I'm not the original purchaser they are much more interested in getting me to buy a new $1000 blower.