Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help please. I built my NOR gate schematic

fckiri

Oct 7, 2011
Hey guys? I am building a simple 2 input NOR gate schematic but the wave form that it outputs is completely wrong. I attached 2 screen shots. On the plot one, the top one is the output and the two others are inputs.
Any help will be apreciated

Attachments

• NORgate.png
    NORgate.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 3,058
  • NORplot.png
    NORplot.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 587

fckiri

Oct 7, 2011
I am using MOSFET. I am building a NOR gate from scratch, i.e starting from 2 pmos in series and 2 nmos in parallel.

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
Perhaps I don't understand, then...

The OP said he was using MOSFETs. The pictures I linked to with two MOSFET gates are NOR gates using "NMOS logic circuitry". The picture jackorocko linked to has a caption describing it as using CMOS logic. I figured the OP should try using the diagrams I linked to using only two gates instead of four. If he doesn't want to, that's fine.

The picture jackorocko linked to has the p-channel MOSFETs on the top in series, and the n-channel MOSFETs on the bottom in parallel, at least according to this diagram here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSFET#Circuit_symbols

The symbols you have used in your simulation are backwards from what you describe you did. I am new to transistors, so I can't tell you why an NPN BJT has the arrow pointing out, but the n-channel MOSFET has the arrow pointing in. But from the diagram, it looks like that's the way the cookie crumbles.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I am new to transistors, so I can't tell you why an NPN BJT has the arrow pointing out, but the n-channel MOSFET has the arrow pointing in.

The way I remember it is that the arrow points to N (same as a map).

So the arrow points in (to the N channel) of an N channel mosfet (or away from the channel if its a P channel device).

For BJT transistors the arrow points out for NPN because it's pointing to one of the N's, and in for PNP because the N is in the middle.

Sort of visual, sort of mnemonic, and also tells you something about the construction of the device.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Electronics/CMOS

CMOS has an advantage over a typical NMOS type gate. I guess the real question is why he chose to design that NOR gate with complimentary mosfets and why he decided to ask here how it looked. He does have the transistors switched around though That would switch the wave form that he says is wrong.

Last edited: