Maker Pro
Maker Pro

help on a RF wireless LED project please

epochcraig

Jul 19, 2016
Hello all hope your well,

Ok im looking to do a project, now i hope i get this across properly, sorry if i dont :)

i want to be able to create a brake light and indicators left and right remote modual, using RF wireless technology so i will need a box at 12v that will have the input from the indicators left and right plus brake light and this will need to transmit to a remote light set using a rf receiver.

i also need this to be as small as possible as to fit into small places

thank you all in advance for the help :)

Last edited by a moderator:

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
What is wrong with a piece of wire?
At one time the RAC used to spend the day towing vehicles away from the Rugby transmitter and the Sinclair car would come to an emergency stop if close to a mobile transmitter.

I presume that you are in the UK. You will need approval from your insurance company.
What are you going to break, just make it stronger.

epochcraig

Jul 19, 2016
Hi Duke37

thanks for the input unfortunately a cable is out of the questions i should expand on it, its going to be inserted in to clothing and is being design for motorbike safety

it will need to be licence free transmitter tech as well

Robert Hill

Mar 5, 2015
Hi Epochcraig,

This project is not the same as what you are trying to do, but I think the principles the person uses could be adapted to help with your project:
http://maxembedded.com/2012/12/making-an-rf-car/

You could replace the outputs to the motors with outputs to your LED's You could use 555 time chips to get the indicator LED's to flash and simply connect the brake LED to one of the output pins.

I hope this might help you progress your project.

Amar Dhore

Dec 2, 2015
what going to be the approximate maximum distance between transmitter and receiver?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
So, your existing brake lights and turn signals on the motorcycle are not visible enough in traffic and you want to attach to a motorcycle jacket LEDs on the arms and the back and maybe even the front that light up in synchronism with the motorcycle brake and turn signal lights. Is that about right? Sounds like a wonderful idea! But why not just install a four-pin connector on the MC and a mating connector on the jacket? Get on the bike, plug in the jacket, and off you go, a veritable paragon of safety... well-lighted. Or contact Linx for other wireless solutions. Good luck riding with batteries in your pockets for the LEDs.

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
So, your existing brake lights and turn signals on the motorcycle are not visible enough in traffic and you want to attach to a motorcycle jacket LEDs on the arms and the back and maybe even the front that light up in synchronism with the motorcycle brake and turn signal lights. Is that about right? Sounds like a wonderful idea! But why not just install a four-pin connector on the MC and a mating connector on the jacket? Get on the bike, plug in the jacket, and off you go,

I agree. I'd love a bike jacket/helmet with indicators and break light.

The thing with unlicensed radio frequencies is everyone uses them. So you get interference. Interference might be able to activate your lights when they are not supposed to or stop them activating when they should.

Wired might be a lot safer. You could add a 5th pin that kills the engine if you come off and disconnect the plug too. Or even have the bike place an emergency call. If you don't press a button to say your OK within 30 seconds or so of a dismount at speed.

If I was going to do something like that I would be looking at Arduino and NFC modules.
I may also consider wireless power, but as this would likely end up with transmitter in seat, receiver in pants and reproductive organs would be way to close to the EM radiation for my liking...

While we are putting electronics in bike clothes. How about a rear view camera in back of helmet?

Amar Dhore

Dec 2, 2015
Oh, From the above discussion, I got what the product is. Its jacket for biker which will indicate the signals/break etc etc. BLE sounds like a good idea for this project. Less interference, less power consumption but not sure about LEDs power ratings and that will decide the battery size.