Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help needed about ICL7135 pinout

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Hello

A friend of mine gave several MAXIM ICL7135cqi chips. I would like to experiment with these chips as they could be useful to build a good digital bench multimeter. The datasheets that I have found on the web, show the pinout of the dual in line package. but the ones that I have are of the Lead Plastic Chip Carrier type.

I have no experience with SMD components, so I need help to understand how is the pinout of these chips, which have pins on all four sides of the square.

Thanks in advance.

Miguel

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This datasheet shows the LPCC pinout on page 12. As there is no different pin assignment given, the assignment of signals to pin numbers should be the same as for teh DIP version. The datasheet shows only pin 1 of the PLCC housing. Numbering is usually counterclockwise (top view).
I hope that helps.

Saludos,
Harald

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Thank you very much for your answers. I already had that datasheet from Maxim, but as I have never used SMD, I know nothing about it. There is always a first time for everything, so I think time has come.

I will prepare a small PCB for experimentation. I will let you know results.

Thanks

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Thank you for that info, but I need to say that I never open holes on the PCBs. I have always surface-mounted the components on my PCBs. (See pictures)

In the beginning, it was due to the lack of proper drill bits to do it, now I think that it is easier to mount the components on the surface, than openning holes (too much work and time consumming)

And it won't be using SMD components that I will begin openning holes, don't you think? :)

Attachments

• resized_Front.jpg
    resized_Front.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 116
  • resized_DSCN2994.JPG
    resized_DSCN2994.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
And it won't be using SMD components that I will begin openning holes, don't you think?
That would be a kind of 'reverse engineering', wouldn't it?
Of course not. These SMDs are comparatively big. they can easily be soldered manually. As you are going to 'experimen' with these chips, I'd use the SMD sockets recommended by Externet. THat way you can easily swap a chip if you manage to damage one during your tests.

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Will try to get one of them. I'm agree with you that sockets are useful for experimentation.

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
This datasheet shows the LPCC pinout on page 12. As there is no different pin assignment given, the assignment of signals to pin numbers should be the same as for teh DIP version. The datasheet shows only pin 1 of the PLCC housing. Numbering is usually counterclockwise (top view).
I hope that helps.

Saludos,
Harald
Note that pin 1 is in a weird place on this particular chip. The pin 1 placement in the Altera datasheet that ArmRules posted is more normal.

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
garublador said:
Note that pin 1 is in a weird place on this particular chip. The pin 1 placement in the Altera datasheet that ArmRules posted is more normal.
I'm a newbie on this SMD technology, so have to ask about this:
The Altera datasheet is referred to a 44 pin Plastic Thin Quad Flat Pack (TQFP), and the 7135 that I have is 28 pin Lead Plastic Chip Carrier (LPCC). Is that the same or are they diferent technologies?

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Hi.
The Altera chip TQFP does not have 'J' pins; it is meant to be soldered as a surface mount device.
The 'J' leads in the Maxim PLCC are meant to use a socket but can also be soldered as in the video above.

It is possible to straighten the 'J' pins to be soldered flat to pads in outer perimeter, but many will disencourage such.

Also keep in mind the extraction of an IC with "J" pins out of its socket takes a very hard to find for you tool, that takes a lot of practice to operate and often deforms/breaks pins. Is not that easy as shown below :

---->

Also note the empty socket is surface mount inside the perimeter, and the plastic square surrounded by the pads can be removed.

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I beg to excuse but what's this Altera stuff anyhow?
The Maxim datasheet shows the PLCC pinout for this chip.

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
that takes a lot of practice to operate and often deforms/breaks pins
Don't worry, I'm very "audacious" and "intrepid".:)

Also keep in mind the extraction of an IC with "J" pins out of its socket takes a very hard to find for you tool
I will solve that anyhow. A couple of screwdrivers in the corners?...... We'll see

Is not that easy
Nothing is easy on this side of the world :D

The Maxim datasheet shows the PLCC pinout for this chip.
That is correct.