Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help me identify this

Karim Youssef

Feb 22, 2016
Hi,

I am trying to replicate the board shown in the video below, but I am new to electronics, I was wondering if you could help me identify what components I need to get to make this board. Thank you

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi,

I am trying to replicate the board shown in the video below, but I am new to electronics, I was wondering if you could help me identify what components I need to get to make this board. Thank you
You don't need to ask twice : https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/identify-components.277705/

The components on the board are quite simple. You have an Arduino, some buttons, a couple potentiometers and what could possibly be 74HC165 based on the intended purpose of the board.

Karim Youssef

Feb 22, 2016
Im sorry, I didnt know what fourm to post on, any more details you could give me would be much appreciated, maybe the component names, and so on

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Karim, Gryd3 already gave a good idea of the components.
I can see resistors, ceramic caps, potentiometers, IC's and an Arduino..
If you can find a proper close screen shot, someone here can tell you exactly. Just not the pot values..

Martin

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I think you may have better luck telling us what it does. We can identify parts, but there are two key things that are missing...
Wiring Diagram.
Program on the Arduino...*

This is the tricky part, the program is probably the most important part here, followed by the wiring diagram.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Karim

a pretty ambitious project for a beginner !!
you may be a bit out of your league there mate

MY best advice would be to contact the video creator and see if he is willing to share all the info on his project
else you will never get a completed project

Dave

Last edited:

Karim Youssef

Feb 22, 2016
I have tried to contact the person who made the video, but no luck yet. All the board does it control buttons and knobs in the computer software as you see. I am all about the challenge. Any information you can give me would help alot. Just your thoughts would help alot too

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I have tried to contact the person who made the video, but no luck yet. All the board does it control buttons and knobs in the computer software as you see. I am all about the challenge. Any information you can give me would help alot. Just your thoughts would help alot too
I would strongly suggest a smaller board then...
The Original developer most likely used a pre-built USB-Keyboard sketch for the arduino and simply built onto it...
I suggest you start something like this yourself... Prototype one with a a few buttons and if you get the hand of it, add more buttons and the knobs.

Here is a resource with a different Arduino product that will get you started and fill in some blanks that you may be missing to build a bigger version you see in the video.
https://learn.adafruit.com/trinket-usb-keyboard/overview

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
again .... without other info, not supplied in that video, you are unlikely to complete the project

consider this....

1) you have no circuit diagram
2) you cannot determine all the part values
3) and most importantly ....
how do you propose to make a circuit board when you cannot identify where all the traces go to ??

Dave

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Hi,

The board you are trying to replicate is used in lieu of a much more expensive ($595) simulated avionics hardware module used with the X-Plane flight simulation software to provide user-control inputs to a simulated cockpit-mounted Garmin 430 GPS, visible in the background screen above and behind the circuit board. The Garmin 430 simulation is built-in to the X-Plane simulation software, but the user interface to setup and control the Garmin is external, using either a keyboard, a mouse, or a piece of hardware similar to what you have shown.

While the X-Plane program (and the Garmin 430 manual inputs) could conceivably be controlled with just a mouse cursor and keyboard input to your personal computer, this would detract from the realism of the simulator program. So, most people interface external hardware such as a control yoke, a joy-stick, and perhaps rudder brake/steering pedals to improve the simulation experience. In this instance, they would interface a Garmin 430 GPS control module into the simulated cockpit instrumentation panel to interface with the simulated Garmin 430 GPS, typically with a USB connection to your PC.

X-Plane Flight Simulation isn't just software displayed on your PC screen. It requires external hardware for a realistic experience. A full-blown simulator includes a mock-up of the airplane cockpit mounted on a two or three axis motion platform, with multiple screens showing an outside view and instrumentation panel(s). The controls and instruments are interfaced to the simulator program with USB connections. Your version of a simulator is probably limited by your budget to perhaps a semi-realistic cockpit seat, a joy-stick for flight control, perhaps a throttle panel, and a single "glass instrumentation panel" as shown in your image, and perhaps another monitor or two for an outside view of the surrounding air-space. So the Garmin 430 would be displayed as shown in your image, while the Garmin user-control board would be tucked out of sight somewhere else in your "cockpit" and used infrequently in lieu of mouse and keyboard while "flying" the simulation.

I can appreciate the desire to replace a very realistic but very expensive control module with a home-brew project costing perhaps $50 in parts. But you have a long road ahead of you to discover how the USB interface (as implemented by the Arduino module) works and communicates Garmin switch commands and potentiometer settings to the X-Plane software. Given your absolutely zero experience in electronics, I don't see that it is likely you will succeed anytime soon. But go ahead and purchase an Arduino Uno or Nano and a big bag of assorted parts to play with. Let us know when you get an LED to blink at a rate controlled by an external potentiometer, and post the Arduino "sketch" you used to make that happen.

Um, to answer your question about parts... I see an Arduino module, thirteen push-button switches, two potentiometers (possibly with push-button switches), two integrated circuits (probably multiplexers for the switches), a handful of resistors (probably pull-ups for the switches), a few by-pass capacitors, and a whole lot of jumper wires because the circuit board only has traces on one side. Not shown of course is the Arduino "sketch" (program) that makes all this behave like a Garmin 430 to the X-Plane software.

So good luck with all that. See this link for more information.

Karim Youssef

Feb 22, 2016
Thanks everyone for your help, I will give this a go, I put myself a week or two time frame, I know I dont have much experience, but that never stopped me, I will keep you guys updated and will probably ask a few questions on the way. Thanks everyone