Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help in identifying the schematic symbol

whompah

Apr 10, 2012
http://electronics-diy.com/tx200.php
TX200_PLL.jpg

Hello there, this circuit seems interesting and I wanted to simulate and construct it, but the problem is I do not know what do the 3 symbols in the circuit represent (1 in audio input, 1 in the middle, and 1 at the antenna). I have never come across with these symbols before.

Can someone lend a little help here ? appreciate that :)

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The symbol on the input and output is a coaxial connector... Not sure why they have one in the middle, unless there is a secondary tap for some reason...

whompah

Apr 10, 2012
Yes, in the middle part, the wire shouldn't be connecting to the ground. Middle part confuses me a lot :(

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Yes, in the middle part, the wire shouldn't be connecting to the ground. Middle part confuses me a lot :(

It's not, IMO it's showing that another 'connector' or take off could be installed at that point for some reason... If you do not require that take off, just consider it a non-connection like this...

Attachments

• no_connect.jpg
    no_connect.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 226

whompah

Apr 10, 2012
I see. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!! :D
I will try to simulate that now.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
The one in the middle might indicate a feedthrough through a metal shield wall between the two parts of the circuit.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The one in the middle might indicate a feedthrough through a metal shield wall between the two parts of the circuit.

My thoughts exactly, Kris

very common in RF circuits to stop feedback. They have just represented it poorely

Dave

whompah

Apr 10, 2012
But in simulation, can I represent it this way ?

attachment.php

And also, in constructing the circuit physically, 1st stage (modulator) and 2nd stage (amplifier) should be seperated from each other by a metal plate right, but physically connected by a wire without using co-axial cable as shown in the figure above ?

Attachments

• Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 424
Last edited by a moderator:

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
The circuit is probably meant to be constructed in a metal (steel) box or rectangular tube. The metal is the circuit ground. You place a steel sheet with a hole in it between the two sections of the circuit, and solder it to the metal on three sides (the fourth side is formed by the clip-on steel cover), and feed the signal through the hole, using insulation, or a ceramic tube, to insulate the wire so it can't make contact with the plate.

You can also get complete feedthrough components that you solder to the hole, which have a connection on each side. Open up a TV tuner or modulator; you may see something similar.

I haven't ever seen coax cable used for the feedthrough.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The circuit is probably meant to be constructed in a metal (steel) box or rectangular tube. The metal is the circuit ground. You place a steel sheet with a hole in it between the two sections of the circuit, and solder it to the metal on three sides (the fourth side is formed by the clip-on steel cover), and feed the signal through the hole, using insulation, or a ceramic tube, to insulate the wire so it can't make contact with the plate.

I haven't ever seen coax cable used for the feedthrough.

yeah, .... more commonly its just a semicircular notch cut out of the metal shiels so that the PCB track passes though

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
But in simulation, can I represent it this way ?

And also, in constructing the circuit physically, 1st stage (modulator) and 2nd stage (amplifier) should be seperated from each other by a metal plate right, but physically connected by a wire without using co-axial cable as shown in the figure above ?

yes simulate it that way as shown with no connections at those points :)

as i said in my previous post, its normally just a PCB track passing through a notch cut out of the metal shield

will see if I can find an example pic for you

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
OK in this pic from my collection of RF gear, there are 2 places in the metal wall where the RF paths move from section to section....
one on the bottom right and one on the left wall

attachment.php

now just remember and for clarification....
You CANNOT use feedthrough capacitors to pass RF. The whole idea of feedthrough caps is to stop the passage of RF
In the image above there is a feedthrough cap on the right hand side metal wall bringing DC into that section. The feedthroough cap stops RF leaveing via the DC feedline

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• RF CCT.JPG
    RF CCT.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
A poor way to represent that on a schematic, although to be fair if it was for a repair manual or service manual representing the connection that way would have been obvious to the person upon first glance of the physical circuit, so in that case representation isn't all important...

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
a metal screen is normally indicated by using a dashed line eg....

attachment.php

Dave

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    8.6 KB · Views: 283